The Official Review Thread of 2018

anonymous1980
Laureate

Re: The Official Review Thread of 2018

Post by anonymous1980 »

OVERLORD
Cast: Jovan Adepo, Wyatt Russell, Mathilde Ollivier, Pilou Asbæk, John Magaro, Bokeem Woodbine, Iain De Caestecker, Jacob Anderson, Dominic Applewhite, Gianny Taufer.
Dir: Julius Avery.

It's World War II and a group of American soldiers are tasked to take down a German radio tower located in the middle of a church in a French town. They get there and find something even more horrible. This movie, I must say, gets really bloody, really violent and really insane....but in a way that kind of delights me. It's a film which manages to be a pretty good war film while combining elements of fantastical horror to great effect. It's strictly B-movie stuff but done quite well. It helps that the ensemble cast plays it straight while the script is pretty solid. Yeah, this is a bloody good time.

Oscar Prospects: Makeup & Hairstyling is possible.

Grade: B+
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND
Cast: John Huston, Oda Kajar, Peter Bogdanovich, Susan Strasberg, Mercedes McCambridge, Bob Random, Lilli Palmer, Edmond O'Brien.
Dir: Orson Welles.

Yes, Orson Welles last film dropped on Netflix....still such a weird phrase. In this one, an aging Hollywood director struggles to finish his last film after his leading actor walked off the set. The film is a mockumentary of sorts on a party with industry types and journalists with a screening of the film. It's very heartening to know that Orson Welles was still breaking rules and experimenting on the art form. This is a wild ride that has potential to enthrall and infuriate the viewer. It is very meta. I could best describe it as a sort of dark and totally fucked up Day for Night or a more cynical 8 1/2. You can tell there is a bit of anger in it but with a lot of love for the art form. We may never know how close this is to Orson Welles's original vision but it is a damn good film and essential for any student of film. Even beyond the grave, Welles still surprises.

Oscar Prospects: Did Netflix qualify this? I'm not sure.

Grade: A-
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
Cast: Rami Malek, Lucy Boynton, Gwilym Lee, Ben Hardy, Joe Mazzello, Aidan Gillen, Allen Leech, Tom Hollander, Mike Myers.
Dir: Bryan Singer.

This is a musical biopic on Freddie Mercury and Queen set in the 1970's and 1980's. I love Queen, a lot of their songs are among my all-time favorites so I would've been interested in a Freddie Mercury biopic. Divorced from the real-life behind-the-scenes drama involving director (or co-director, should I say) Bryan Singer, this is pretty much a standard issue, formulaic and slickly made musical biopic that lives and dies on the performance of Rami Malek who truly knocks it out of the park. He is actually so good, everyone else in the film is almost anonymous and forgettable. If it came out that he actually SANG his part rather than lip-synched, Malek would be the front-runner for the Best Actor Oscar by now. I think it was also a mistake to sanitize the story down to a PG-13. This should've been an R though thankfully Mercury's bisexuality and struggle with AIDS is still in there. Overall, it's fine.

Oscar Prospects: Rami Malek is a contender but he has to overcome the film's mediocre reviews. Costume Design, Makeup & Hairstyling and Sound Mixing are possible had they gotten better reviews.

Grade: B-
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote:
anonymous1980 wrote:SUSPIRIA
Cast: Dakota Johnson, Tilda Swinton, Mia Goth, Chloe Grace Moretz, Jessica Harper, Angela Winkler, Ingrid Caven, Renée Soutendijk, Alek Wek.
Dir: Luca Guadagnino.

Dario Argento's classic giallo film is one of my favorite horror films of all time. But even I thought it would be interesting to see Luca Guadagnino, a filmmaker I've grown to admire the past few years, try and remake it. Well, the basic concept is still the same: A young American woman goes to Germany to study dance in a prestigious dance academy which turns out to be a coven of witches. But that's pretty much where the two films' commonality ends. The film goes into such a different direction, a direction that some people may not like. Personally, I was kind of impressed. Luca Guadagnino brought something new to the story, made his own spin yet remains respectful of its source material. His style make the horror stuff really get under your skin. His use of sound is really masterful. It's a slow-burn and can piss people off but I came off really loving this.

Oscar Prospects: I think it's the front-runner to WIN Makeup & Hairstyling. Also possible: Original Score, Original Song, Production Design, Costume Design and Sound Mixing. I think Tilda Swinton's too weird for a Supporting Actress nom for three roles.

If Guadagnino has gone a different route with the material then I may watch it. The Dario Argento version was utter tripe.
I love the Argento film and plan on watching it again before seeing the Guadagnino film. His already remade one film La Piscine with rather mixed results and I have found his original films such as I Am Love & Call Me By Your Name far superior. The remake of Suspiria has some interesting cast members like Jessica Harper (from the original), Angela Winkler, Ingrid Caven, & Renée Soutendijk but I could do without Johnson and remake queen Moretz. I saw the trailer earlier in the week and to be frank didn't know what to make of it.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

anonymous1980 wrote:SUSPIRIA
Cast: Dakota Johnson, Tilda Swinton, Mia Goth, Chloe Grace Moretz, Jessica Harper, Angela Winkler, Ingrid Caven, Renée Soutendijk, Alek Wek.

Dario Argento's classic giallo film is one of my favorite horror films of all time. But even I thought it would be interesting to see Luca Guadagnino, a filmmaker I've grown to admire the past few years, try and remake it. Well, the basic concept is still the same: A young American woman goes to Germany to study dance in a prestigious dance academy which turns out to be a coven of witches. But that's pretty much where the two films' commonality ends. The film goes into such a different direction, a direction that some people may not like. Personally, I was kind of impressed. Luca Guadagnino brought something new to the story, made his own spin yet remains respectful of its source material. His style make the horror stuff really get under your skin. His use of sound is really masterful. It's a slow-burn and can piss people off but I came off really loving this.

Oscar Prospects: I think it's the front-runner to WIN Makeup & Hairstyling. Also possible: Original Score, Original Song, Production Design, Costume Design and Sound Mixing. I think Tilda Swinton's too weird for a Supporting Actress nom for three roles.

If Guadagnino has gone a different route with the material then I may watch it. The Dario Argento version was utter tripe.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

SUSPIRIA

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

HALLOWEEN
Cast: Jamie Lee Curtis, Judy Greer, Andi Matichak, Nick Castle, Will Patton, Haluk Biginer, Virginia Gardner, Rhian Rees, Jefferson Hall, Toby Huss, Miles Robbins, Jibrail Nantambu.
Dir: David Gordon Green.

This is a direct sequel to the 1978 original classic slasher horror film that started it all. It retcons everything in between and in this timeline, Laurie Strode is now a recluse with a worried daughter and granddaughter and Michael Myers just escaped from the mental facility. As far as slasher films go, this is pretty effective. It is a thrilling, scary, well-made, well-acted and surprisingly more intelligent than average horror film with just the right amount of nostalgia and callback to the original while still being its own thing. Jamie Lee Curtis is wonderful and it's refreshing to see Judy Greer have more screen time for a change. It doesn't break new ground but it's a very good piece of work.

Oscar Prospects: It would be nice for Jamie Lee Curtis to get an Actress nomination out of this but I doubt it.

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

FIRST MAN
Cast: Ryan Gosling, Claire Foy, Kyle Chandler, Jason Clarke, Corey Stoll, Ciaran Hinds, Patrick Fugit, Pablo Schreiber, Olivia Hamilton, Shea Whigham, Lukas Haas, Ethan Embry.
Dir: Damien Chazelle.

This is the film about how Neil Armstrong became the first man on the moon. In many ways, this is a fairly standard biopic which hits all the factoids in a three act structure. But director Damien Chazelle inject a lot of life into the proceedings, grounding the story in humanity and managing to mine suspense and emotion in a story that I think most people are familiar with and know the ending to. It doesn't break any new ground and some people may dismiss it as "middle-brow Oscar bait" but it is a refreshing, grown-up, well-made drama with wonderful performances and further proof that Chazelle is indeed one of the best young mainstream directors working today.

Oscar Prospects: Across the board nominations for Picture, Director, Actor (Ryan Gosling), Supporting Actress (Claire Foy), Adapted Screenplay, Original Score, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, Film Editing, Visual Effects, Production Design.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

My review of Three Identical Strangers posts tomorrow on CinemaSight.

The beginning of the story takes place in the fall of 1980 when I was still living in New York. I didn't move to California until early 1981, but I don;t believe I was aware of it at the time. Although I've read and seen a lot on nature vs. nurture in the intervening years, I still don't think I had heard about this particular situation. It's a fascinating tale, though, and one of the year's best films, let alone documentaries.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I've caught up with all three of the year's hot documentaries, and have been meaning to comment on them, so I thank dws for giving me the prod to get my thoughts down.

I know I've noted this before, but I think it bears repeating: it's truly amazing to have three docs in such a short period achieve the level of acclaim and financial success these films have. Each one of the three, in a given year, would have had an easy path to securing critics' prizes and, almost assuredly, the Oscar. Having three candidates with that profile is remarkable, and, unless one of them ends up sweeping the critics' groups, it could be fun to watch them battle for awards.

Won't You Be My Neighbor? has been the highest-of-the-high grossers, but I have to say I found it the least impressive of the three. This may be partly due to my almost complete unacquaintance with Mr. Rogers -- I was too old to have ever watched him as a child (too old for the entire PBS/Sesame Street world, in fact), and, since I never had kids, I never absorbed him on a secondary level, either. (Till I heard the theme song fully sung in the movie, I didn't even know where the film's title came from.) What I got from the film was that he was a genuinely nice guy with noble aims for educating children -- all of which is completely admirable in life, but not especially engaging as cinematic material. I hear a lot of people saying the pure niceness on display is a tonic in these angry times, and I see that. Though it's worth noting that HE himself worked in angry times. (Possibly the strongest moment in the film is when he tries to on-air process Bobby Kennedy's assassination -- a self-identified Republican genuinely mournful over losing a politician of the opposing party is a scene that's hard to conjure up today.) Anyway, my overall take on the film is that it's perfectly pleasant, but I'm not quite sure what's turned it into (in doc terms) a financial juggernaut.

RBG, too, benefits from serving as beacon (particularly for progressives) in a dark time, and from the unlikely rock-star status GInsberg has attained in this era. But I found the movie quite engrossing on its own, particularly in the sections about her earlier life -- first seeing just how quixotic a life-path she was choosing in simply going to law school, and then learning more about her major accomplishments prior to joining the Court. (As someone currently collecting a wife's Social Security survivor benefit, I had no idea I had her to thank.) And, while my political leanings no doubt enhance my appreciation of her rulings, I don't think it's fair to dismiss her writings as unimpressive. She doesn't cry out for attention the way Scalia did, with his "argle-bargle" and "applesauce", but, especially in this era when she often writes the primary dissent, her phrasings can be memorable. Her Shelby County metaphor -- that tossing away Civil Rights protections in the South is like throwing out your umbrella because it's not raining today -- is not only apt but, as we're seeing in Georgia this very moment, prescient. I agree with dws that a Justice who truly went through changes while on the Ctourt -- Justice Blackmun would be another in that regard, beyond the ones you cite -- would be a stronger subject for, say, a dramatization. But simply in terms of taking a look at a remarkable life, I think RBG is a powerful work.

Like dws, though, I find Three Identical Strangers the stronger effort, if only because it tells such a remarkable story. I can't believe I was unaware of this while it was being uncovered -- I of course lived in the NY area in the early 80s, but have no recollection of it whatever (neither do any of the friends I've asked about it). I'LL TRY TO AVOID SPOILERS, BUT MIGHT SLIP A BIT The film works on you almost like a drug -- starting off as a giddy high (the sheer elation the guys take from the situation), but slipping gradually into disillusionment and something like despair. If I had any issue with the film, it was feeling I wasn't being given enough of the latter developments. Especially, why not include the contents of the released files, which would certainly confirm or contradict suggestions the film is making? I'd also have liked some exploration of the fact that the three brothers looked/acted/talked so much alike in the historical footage, but the two on-camera present day look more like simply brothers rather than identical twins. But these are quibbles about an incredibly powerful piece of work that tells an amazing story, but also raises serious questions about what leeway we were giving to scientists half a century ago, and how we're questioning that in retrospect. Highly recommended.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

anonymous1980 wrote:THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST
it's still a noble effort well worth seeing and writer-director Desiree Akhavan is definitely a filmmaker to watch out for.

Grade: B
Actually, Desiree Akhaven's first film Appropriate Behaviour marked her as a filmmaker to watch. As well intended as this film is, it is a step-down for Akhaven after her notable first film film.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST
Cast: Chloe Grace Moretz, John Gallagher Jr., Jennifer Ehle, Sasha Lane, Forrest Goodluck, Owen Campbell, Marin Ireland, Emily Skeggs.
Dir: Desiree Akhavan.

After getting caught with another girl in the backseat of a car, a teenage girl is sent to a gay conversion camp during the early 1990's. Based on a young adult novel, this is one of two gay conversion dramas coming out this year. This film is very well-made and very well-acted. It also effectively depicts both the absurdity and the horrors of such camps whilst never hitting you over the head with it and being too preachy about it....for the most part. It definitely lacks that bit of nuance that would've put it over the top. That said, it's still a noble effort well worth seeing and writer-director Desiree Akhavan is definitely a filmmaker to watch out for.

Oscar Prospects: This will get lost in the shuffle so I'm not optimistic.

Grade: B
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

A STAR IS BORN
Cast: Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper, Sam Elliott, Andrew Dice Clay, Dave Chappelle, Anthony Ramos, Rafi Gavron, Ron Rifkin.
Dir: Bradley Cooper.

This FOURTH iteration of the now familiar story of two artists, one on the rise and one on the way out falling in love. For me, the Judy Garland version is an all-time favorite. Does this version with Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper as great? No is the short answer but few films are anyway. This is still quite an excellent film and makes for a solid debut for director and star Bradley Cooper. I've seen all but the Streisand version and this one manages to wring the emotions despite me knowing where it's headed. Lady Gaga pretty much solidifies her acting credentials here and she just runs away with her first lead role. Sam Elliott and Andrew Dice Clay give nice supporting turns. The soundtrack's great too. It's not groundbreaking cinema but simply a well-made musical drama.

Oscar Prospects: Picture, Actor, Actress, maybe Supporting Actor (Sam Elliott), Original Song and Sound Mixing are givens. Possibilities include Film Editing, Cinematography and maybe Costume Design.

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Two (very different) documentaries:

RBG is the first. Let me give my disclaimer: I'm a right-leaning moderate (did not and will not ever vote for Trump), so take that into account. Maybe that colors my reaction to this, maybe not. The idea of Supreme Court justice documentaries is not bad at all, so I'd like to suggest to aspiring documentarians William J. Brennan, or the genuinely odd William O. Douglas (whose tenure was the longest on the court), or most of all, a warts-and-all look at Hugo Black, a former Klan member (he claimed he joined to get votes for office) who went on to become a champion of civil rights on the court, tough to easily categorize as a liberal or conservative, and easily one of the most influential justices ever. It's an interesting film, partially due to the conflict between who Ruth Bader Ginsburg actually is vs. who the film wants her to be. RBG as a film goes a bit too far in trying to claim a not-entirely-earned legacy for Ruth Bader Ginsburg. And I don't mean that as a slight on Ginsburg: the Ginsburg portrayed in this film seems to be a lady who is very happy simply doing her job and analyzing legal briefs deep into the night. She's quiet, soft-spoken, and while she's let some criticisms of Trump slip out over the past couple of years, for the most part she's always been much more of the old-school of "disagree respectfully". I don't think she's necessarily trying to cultivate a legacy as a real-life Wonder Woman, despite what the meme generation has tried to turn her into. There's no denying that, while she's been a reliable member of the liberal wing of the court, she doesn't really stand out from other like-minded justices like Souter or Breyer in terms of jurisprudence. She hasn't written opinions (or dissents) on a lot of the big cases, hasn't cultivated a legacy as much beyond an easy vote liberal vote on cases that fall along ideological lines. Compare her to her good friend but ideological opposite Scalia, who carved out a legacy as an originalist, partially because, when he ended up on the wrong side of a decision, he tended to take to his pulpit and write fiery dissents. This just isn't, and from the film itself, hasn't ever been, Ginsburg's style. One of the most telling moments is when her friends from her school days recount how they only found out that Ginsburg's mom had died when she matter-of-factly informed them that she wouldn't be at graduation. For better or worse, this is who she is, and who she's been for most, if not all, of her life. So while I think it's an interesting film, I also don't think Ginsburg is the best, or most compelling, subject for a documentary. But I also think that's how she would want it.

Three Identical Strangers was more compelling for me, because the real-life story is truly fascinating. As many of the characters say, "If someone told me this story, I wouldn't believe it". But it's also harder to discuss without going into spoiler territory--not just the spoilers that everyone knows from the concept of the film, but spoilers that go into the reasons the triplets were initially separated, as well as the possible ramifications of the separation, and I think those spoilers play better if you discover it in the film itself. I also think that spoiler ultimately leads to the biggest weakness of the film: In trying to explain or give insight into a certain development in the story, it introduces a possible "explanation" that comes a little too abruptly, as the film is headed towards its conclusion. It really is a good, moving documentary though. I'm glad that, in the wake of RBG and Won't You Be My Neighbor?, this didn't get lost in the shuffle and managed to find its own audience.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Mister Tee wrote: As for that "ending"...in my youth, there was a long-running comic strip called Winnie Winkle. At one point, somewhere around 1960/61, she was said to be dead -- and I remember my father saying "How long till we find out she's still alive?" Same deal here. If you believe Marvel is ready to kill off half of its franchises -- if you for a moment think there won't be a sequel to the billion-ish-grossing Black Panther...well, your childish faith is adorable. So, why would I be moved by something that I know is going to undone or reversed in time for about a dozen more movies?
I haven't seen this movie, so I'm not taking issue with your take on the ending, which seems to be in line with most of the others I've read.

But I have read comic books (not in comic book form...I just wait until they're released in compilation books) so I am familiar with the "kill off the protagonist" thing. In comics, you know the characters won't remain dead forever (the series is going to continue, and even if it's a final issue, you know it'll be rebooted somehow), but the dramatic payoffs tend to come in terms of how they'll bring them back, and what implications their "death" will have on the larger story arc. I don't know why Marvel would try to play it off in terms of some type of suspense or tragic ending when, like you said, everyone knows these characters will be back, and most already have films with release dates lined up.

-----
I've watched several new films lately. Operation Finale is an interesting story (the operation to capture Eichmann) where you can tell, even at the script level, why actors like Isaac and Kingsley were interested. But Chris Weitz makes a mess of the story, falling into all of the traps you would expect, trying to turn it into a Munich/Argo hybrid (it even has an airport chase). Hot Summer Nights is one of those Alpha Dog-esque wayward youth films with Timothy Chalamet as a teenager who gets in over his head. Chalamet is solid, but you've seen this before. Final Portrait is one of those movies that opens with a time-and-place title card, "Paris, 1964", only for Armie Hammer to inform us (via voice-over) right away that "I was in Paris in 1964". One of the most artless movies about art that I've seen. A Ciambra is, in my opinion, one of the best films of the year, also, in a way, a film about a kid who gets in over his head. The setting is unique--a Romani community in Calabria--and I think it really evokes the way the African refugees, the Romani community, and the Italians live together in that uneasy tension, the way a group of people who are (and perceive themselves to be) an underclass often resort to crimes as a survival mechanism. Really good movie. If you do Hulu, it's available on there, although I think you can also rent in on Amazon.

Return to “2018”