The Post reviews

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: The Post reviews

Post by Precious Doll »

There was actually a good scene about 10 minutes prior to the courtroom steps moment when a young woman working for the Government approaches Meryl to tell her how much she admires her, etc. That scene worked so well but as is typical of Spielberg he doesn't know when to stop.

Every time Michael Stuhlbarg appeared he kept reminding me of Al Lewis as Grandpa in The Munsters.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

flipp525 wrote:He looked almost as bad as poor Michael Stuhlbarg who looked like a vampire drag queen who is “presenting male” for a night in a speakeasy.
I burst out laughing at this line. It just sums up how bad so many of the wigs are in this movie.

Wow, you guys all really hate that scene of Streep descending the court house steps? I genuinely found that scene touching both times I saw the movie.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Greg wrote:Also, what the Hell is a "presenting male?"
Think Jared Leto in Dallas Buyers Club in the scene when Rayon dresses up in a suit and slicked back hair to go ask her dad for money.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

flipp525 wrote:Also, as a longtime D.C. resident, I have to say that the film has several moments that were just completely wrong. Like, that’s not even what the Supreme Court looks like inside, folks.
This has to be a result of laziness and/or a very rushed production. I would expect if the production design people simply did the research of looking at Google Images for the Supreme Court they could get enough info to make a fairly accurate rendition.

Also, what the Hell is a "presenting male?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

flipp525 wrote: Also, as a longtime D.C. resident, I have to say that the film has several moments that were just completely wrong. Like, that’s not even what the Supreme Court looks like inside, folks.
And if you were a New Yorker, you'd note that the facade of the old Times building looks nothing like the real thing. (The Times moved a few blocks south a while back, but the 43rd Street entrance, with its multiple driveways from which delivery trucks merged, is etched in civic memory.) If this thing gets nominated for production design, it's laughable.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

God, this movie was boring. For a fun drinking game, take a shot every time someone is looking down at a piece of paper with wide, dramatic, Stanislavski-acting eyes. You’ll need an IV.

It felt like, “We’re gonna take a little All the President’s Men and mix in some Spotlight and, oh, let’s sprinkle it with some #MeToo style female empowerment. Voila! A film for the ages!” That (oft-mentioned here) scene with all the women looking up at Kay Graham in total awe, complete with one or two African-Americans positioned in for diversity, was outright laughable. Just, no.

Also, as a longtime D.C. resident, I have to say that the film has several moments that were just completely wrong. Like, that’s not even what the Supreme Court looks like inside, folks. I was watching the screener with a friend of mine who has argued several cases in front of the Supremes and he was very quick to point that out. The phone call that Bob Odenkirk is making on the pay phones has buildings featured in the background that are taller than buildings are even allowed to be here. None of it makes any sense. I will say though, they captured Katherine Graham’s house perfectly (in fact, I really feel like they must have filmed the exterior scenes at the actual house which is probably why I thought it was the only location in the film that seemed authentic).

When we realized just how bad it was, we really just decided to start having fun with it as we were watching. We were especially proud of “How long do you think it’s going to take for Sarah Paulson to stroll in with sandwiches?” And then, she did! (The answer was under two minutes, by the way).

Streep is the wonderful, dependable Streep we’ve all come to depend on. After Florence Foster Jenkins (which, not to brag, but I was the first to call for a nomination for her - in August), it would not be a good move to bet against her placing for this. And she has some really nice moments. I love when she looked lovingly at a picture of Phil Graham on the wall before she goes into the boardroom. And her golden caftan scene is appropriately gay enough for me to lend my approval. It just seems like her performance is literally the only reason to see this. (I liked Odenkirk, Paulson, and Allison Brie too).

Tom Hanks veers towards awful in a really weird, occasionally off-putting performance. He cannot do accents and should never try again. And his wig is horrendous. He looked almost as bad as poor Michael Stuhlbarg who looked like a vampire drag queen who is “presenting male” for a night in a speakeasy.
Last edited by flipp525 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Good luck with your surgery Uri!
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Uri wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:Streep would have been fine with a better script and more subtle director. As for Spacek, don't care if she never makes another film again.
dws1982 wrote:I want her to be in at least five movies every year. But I think she's pretty happy with just doing a small role here and there, mostly on TV, and spending the rest of her time on her farm in Virginia, so good for her.
Ah, the perils of old age. Did I mix you two up? Who was the one who awarded Spacek 6 or 7 times on his personal list for best actress?
To be fair, I awarded her five (or was it six?) times. Which puts her in her rightful place, just behind Ingrid Bergman.

Also, best wishes in your upcoming surgery.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

flipp525 wrote:I’m starting to feel old too. I’m going to turn 40 in April! I’ve been on this Board with you all almost half my life. :oops: :oops: :oops: :shock:
I'm turning 40 in September so that's also half my life on this board :shock: :lol:
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I’m starting to feel old too. I’m going to turn 40 in April! I’ve been on this Board with you all almost half my life. :oops: :oops: :oops: :shock:

Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Big Magilla wrote:
Uri wrote:Later this month I'm about to have my hip joint replaced. I DO feel ancient recently, I'm afraid.
Good luck!

I know a number of people who've had that done, who after they get over the initial recovery are perfectly fine. Knee joint replacements are the killer, especially if you have to have one redone. Fortunately, I haven't had to have either - yet!
I know it'll be ok, but right now that I have a date, it's all about wanting to have it already done.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Uri wrote:Later this month I'm about to have my hip joint replaced. I DO feel ancient recently, I'm afraid.
Good luck!

I know a number of people who've had that done, who after they get over the initial recovery are perfectly fine. Knee joint replacements are the killer, especially if you have to have one redone. Fortunately, I haven't had to have either - yet!
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Precious Doll wrote:
Awful. All the best with that. It's a very common procedure and people recover well. I know a number of people who have had them including one of my grandmothers when she was in her 80's and all came out fine.
Thank you. It's not that I'm not bothered, but my surgeon is very highly regarded one and the procedure is the state of the art - at least in Israel. I'm supposed to have a relatively sort and easy recuperating process. We'll see.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Awful. All the best with that. It's a very common procedure and people recover well. I know a number of people who have had them including one of my grandmothers when she was in her 80's and all came out fine.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Later this month I'm about to have my hip joint replaced. I DO feel ancient recently, I'm afraid.

Return to “2017”