Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri reviews

Kellens101
Temp

Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri reviews

Post by Kellens101 »

This sounds fantastic. I cannot wait to see it now. When you hear Frances McDormand gives her best work to date, that's really cause for excitement.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Sabin wrote:Do you think it could win Best Picture?
Watching it I had the thought -- this doesn't feel like a Best Picture winner; it's closer in spirit to No Country for Old Men. :D
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Very much looking forward to it. When I saw the trailer, i wrote it off as a possible winner for acting and writing, but likely not more. Do you think it could win Best Picture?
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

There's obviously no way the folks at Fox Searchlight -- or Martin McDonagh, way back when he was developing this script -- could have possibly known the environment in which this film would be released. But if you could have concocted in a lab a film that burrowed deep into the zeitgeist of this month in America, it would probably look a lot like Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. The story of a woman seeking justice for her daughter's rapist-murderer, in the face of consistently infuriating systemic and cultural hurdles that keep standing in her way, feels almost like the cathartic national narrative an angry country sick and tired of tolerating abusive men needs right now. And yet, in any context, I think this would be a terrific movie, a brutal (and brutally funny) piece of work, full of layers, and open to plenty of interpretations about its meaning and resonance.

Many folks expressed surprise when the film won the Audience Award at Toronto, believing that it was simply too dark for an award that has often gone to the likes of Slumdog Millionaire and The King's Speech. But as I watched this movie -- with an audience that just hollered and cheered repeatedly throughout the running time -- I realized the prize made quite a bit of sense after all. McDonagh has made a real rarity -- a bleak crowd-pleaser, where the horrors of the film's violence and tragedies only fuel the viewer's desire to watch justice be served.

And, as in much of McDonagh's work, he balances laugh-out-loud humor with brutal bursts of violence in a manner that strikes me as immensely difficult to pull off effectively. Of course, it's not that other filmmakers don't do this -- Tarantino, for instance, has made an entire career out of it. But it's one thing to play violence and comedy facetiously, and another to use humor as essentially the characters' only mechanism to cope with the nightmarish things they're experiencing. (Essentially "I laugh that I may not kill myself.") I'm not sure I've ever seen a movie that's this funny that also looks at the world with such an overwhelming sense of despair.

Plot-wise, this is a beautifully structured script. I've often expressed that one of my bigger disappointments with many movies these days (particularly American movies) is simply the fact that they don't tell stories that feel surprising in any way. Three Billboards had me constantly wondering where its plot was headed, and kept throwing interesting curve balls along the way; these narrative turns, I should add, were often carefully set up or foreshadowed in a manner that made them feel fully organic within the story as opposed to just random plot pivots. And the way various characters come in and out of one another's lives throughout the story made me feel like I was constantly watching new dynamics develop between the citizens of the town, frequently learning new things about the major players as the film went on. This is very rich writing, and I wouldn't be surprised to see this win the lion's share of the critics' prizes for Screenplay this year.

The cast is splendid, from the actors who basically get one notable showcase moment (Hedges, Cornish), to those who provide great texture throughout (Hawkes, Dinklage, Ivanek), to the guys with the meatiest supporting roles. Harrelson plays his sheriff in a manner that's somewhat unexpected -- you'd think he'd be a real antagonist to McDormand, but it's clear he's got a lot of respect for her. He's also the kind of guy who's always had a sense of humor, and isn't going to change that just because he's dealing with tragedy at the moment. And Rockwell effectively brings out the contradictions inherent in his character -- he's a racist, for sure, as well as immature and prone to violence. But he also believes sincerely in his work, and at heart takes seriously his role as a police officer in doling out justice.

But of course the movie belongs to McDormand, who relishes McDonagh's spitfire dialogue with force, anger, and a ton of wit. This might well be the best performance she's ever given -- and I've often been a big fan -- aided certainly by a great part, but also a part that's clearly enhanced by what she's bringing to it. I'm not sure there's another actress who could have portrayed the abrasive unlikability that turns so many of her neighbors against her while simultaneously making the audience sympathize so deeply with her even as she's doing some fairly terrible things.

I imagine that I will have more to say than this, but I feel like I'll want a second viewing of this movie to wrap my head around its ideas and manner of execution a bit better, just because I think it's such a complicated, morally thorny piece of work. (By that point, more people will have likely seen it, too, so I won't have to avoid spoilers as much).

I'm sure it's clear by now, but to sum up: highly recommended.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

OscarGuy wrote:I'm not sure which trailers everyone is seeing for mother! For instance, last week when we went to the movies, it was that teaser where she's hearing voices and wandering through the house. The one we saw this week was the full trailer with Bardem doing a fair bit of gaslighting, Ed Harris creepy, exploding blood-filled lightbulbs and the works. I didn't care much for the teaser, but I like the follow-up quite a bit. It does give a very cultish Rosemary's Baby vibe. I think the reason for the wide release is that there might be a twist that could easily be spoiled and since it's a horror film, a wide release would be more appropriate than a platform release.

That said, anyone who's seen the second trailer: do you recognize the music used in that or is that piece from the film itself? I love it and if it's the score to the film, it's one I think should certainly be in competition for a win. Reminds me a bit of Herrmann's work on Hitchcock films.
I don't know the name of the music used but initial reports are saying that the film has almost no score whatsoever
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm not sure which trailers everyone is seeing for mother! For instance, last week when we went to the movies, it was that teaser where she's hearing voices and wandering through the house. The one we saw this week was the full trailer with Bardem doing a fair bit of gaslighting, Ed Harris creepy, exploding blood-filled lightbulbs and the works. I didn't care much for the teaser, but I like the follow-up quite a bit. It does give a very cultish Rosemary's Baby vibe. I think the reason for the wide release is that there might be a twist that could easily be spoiled and since it's a horror film, a wide release would be more appropriate than a platform release.

That said, anyone who's seen the second trailer: do you recognize the music used in that or is that piece from the film itself? I love it and if it's the score to the film, it's one I think should certainly be in competition for a win. Reminds me a bit of Herrmann's work on Hitchcock films.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:
Bening would be the first "mature" winner since Julianne Moore, her co-star in The Kids Are Alright for which she was last nominated. There's that, plus some residual guilt for her failure to be nominated last year for 20th Century Women. Then there's that swoon-worthy Gloria Grahame voice she perfects in Film Stars, too delicious to be ignored.

Hawkins, at 41, would be the fourth best actress nominee in a mute performance in a talkie. All three previous nominees - Jane Wyman, Marlee Matlin and Holly Hunter won, so there's history on her side.

This could be one of those years in which the suspense lasts until the envelope is opened, provided, of course, that the avalanche of precursors doesn't coalesce around one actress early on.
I actually watched the trailer today for Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool and think it looks wonderful. I was bowled over by Bennings accent and glad to be proven wrong the Jamie Banks was miscast - they both look perfect in the roles. Anyone who hasn't read the book should do themselves a favour and get hold of a copy. It's a very quick, easy and enjoyable read.

A would love to see Sally Hawkins win. She was also wonderful this year in Maudie but it will be The Weight of Water that she will be nominated. Despite my loathing of Sally Hopkins most acclaimed role in Happy Go Lucky I always look forward to her work and it always brings me back to the Mike Leigh film All or Nothing in which Sally Hawkins made her screen debut. She played a rather sluttish young woman hanging around the apartment building where the film unfolds and she may seem tough and abrasive at first but she posses a wonderful warm heart underneath and commits an unselfish act of charity. Hawkins or Benning would make very good winners - sight unseen of course.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

OscarGuy wrote:Rosemary's Baby picked up nominations for Best Supporting Actress and Adapted Screenplay at the Oscars and those two plus Drama Actress and Original Score at the Globes.

Am I the only one who has seen the full trailer for mother! and not immediately thought that everything seems to be playing out like a more gory cousin of Rosemary's Baby?
People over on the Criterion forum posted some Mother posters which look very much like Rosemary Baby's advertising:

http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/vie ... 1&start=25

I'd only seen two. The one that's been up in cinema for months with Lawrence holding her heart and only just today a close-up of Lawrence's face on bus shelters. It's worth noting that Mother is getting a virtually worldwide release around the same date. I smell something rotten with that as it's usually only done with big budget studio template films like the latest Stars Wars note something like this. Feels very much like take the money and run.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:
Big Magilla wrote
As much as I'd like to, I can't completely rule out Streep, but Lawrence- no, Chastain- no, Stone - unless her film's box office is through the roof, no, as well.
Magilla, I'm with you on Jessica Chastain by virtue of the trailer, but why are you ruling out Jennifer Lawrence and Emma Stone? If Jennifer Lawrence can get a nomination for Joy, why not Mother! and Emma Stone looks fantastic in her film.

If anything, I think Judi Dench looks far shakier.
As Precious says, the trailer for Mother! looks awful. Enough with these ridiculous nominations for the over-rated Lawrence. Stone just won. Although a repeat nod for the previous year's winner is something that often occurs, in a year when the competition is as strong as it is this year, it's a bit tougher. As I said, though, if the box-office for her film goes through the roof, and it may, her chances will increase. Right now, I think the winner will be someone who hasn't won before - either Bening or Hawkins with Dench, McDormand and Winslet the likeliest repeaters. Then there's Ronan, who is clearly in the mode of sweet young things the Academy prefers to give its top honor to.

Bening would be the first "mature" winner since Julianne Moore, her co-star in The Kids Are Alright for which she was last nominated. There's that, plus some residual guilt for her failure to be nominated last year for 20th Century Women. Then there's that swoon-worthy Gloria Grahame voice she perfects in Film Stars, too delicious to be ignored.

Hawkins, at 41, would be the fourth best actress nominee in a mute performance in a talkie. All three previous nominees - Jane Wyman, Marlee Matlin and Holly Hunter won, so there's history on her side.

This could be one of those years in which the suspense lasts until the envelope is opened, provided, of course, that the avalanche of precursors doesn't coalesce around one actress early on.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Rosemary's Baby picked up nominations for Best Supporting Actress and Adapted Screenplay at the Oscars and those two plus Drama Actress and Original Score at the Globes.

Am I the only one who has seen the full trailer for mother! and not immediately thought that everything seems to be playing out like a more gory cousin of Rosemary's Baby?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Mother looks terrible from the trailer, which I am sick to death of seeing virtually every time I have gone to the cinema in the last 2-3 weeks. It also looks very far removed from what the Academy likes. It will need universal critical support and box office clout to gain any traction with the Academy.

My problem with Jennifer Lawrence is that has been often miscast in that she has been playing characters that should be older than she is because she never comes across as an adult woman. She has never been able demonstrate womanly maturity.

I'm talking about Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle, Joy & Serena as evidence. Judging from the trailer of Mother she is meant to be Javier Bardem's girlfriend/wife? His old enough to be her father. I know Hollywood has been doing this for years, much younger leading ladies, but if there going to do that at least cast someone who can convincing play 'adult'.

Kathleen Turner was 27 when she played Matty Walker in Body Heat. Shelley Duvall was 28 when she played Millie Lammoreaxu in 3 Women. Lauren Bacall was 22 when she played Vivian Rutledge in The Big Sleep. Could anyone imagine that Jennifer Lawrence playing those role with the conviction that those actresses did.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
As much as I'd like to, I can't completely rule out Streep, but Lawrence- no, Chastain- no, Stone - unless her film's box office is through the roof, no, as well.
Magilla, I'm with you on Jessica Chastain by virtue of the trailer, but why are you ruling out Jennifer Lawrence and Emma Stone? If Jennifer Lawrence can get a nomination for Joy, why not Mother! and Emma Stone looks fantastic in her film.

If anything, I think Judi Dench looks far shakier.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:It's still five with Winslet, no need to hold a spot for Streep.
Of course, you're assuming they hold a spot for Dench, which, based on her film's reviews, I see as far less a given.

Hawkins/McDormand appear strongest based on reviews. Stone could easily join them if her film becomes a hit (which looks likely). Winslet stands to join them unless the buzz is wrong-er than it's ever been. Ronan is also a possibility, depending how widely popular her film becomes.

Beyond that, you have Streep/Lawrence/Chastain unseen, and Bening/Dench not completely out of it but basically competing for filler spots. (Of course, as we found out last year, sometimes a filler can box out a more-praised candidate.)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It's still five with Winslet, no need to hold a spot for Streep.

Return to “2017”