Victoria & Abdul reviews

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: Victoria & Abdul reviews

Post by Mister Tee »

I'm closer to Uri's take; I found the movie pretty close to insufferable.

I found Abdul an impenetrable character. Was he just a hustler, looking with contempt on Victoria as he fed her lies about India (lies she gobbled up, apparently the least-informed person in the royal family)? Or was he a guy with the soul of a slave, willingly giving himself over to servitude for a nice house and hot meals? The movie didn't tell me. All it seemed to want to give me was warm fuzzies over Victoria finding a playmate in her dotage.

I was VERY confused by the time-scheme. Near the end of the film, when Victoria said she was sick and near death, I thought, impossible: she doesn't die till after the century turns, and this movie was set in 1887. Wait: I'm supposed to think 14 years have gone by? There was nothing that conveyed that to me; I didn't even notice anyone's make-up suggesting years passing.

I'm a great fan of both Eddie Izzard and Olivia Williams, but they give clownish performances here. As for Dench...she has a couple of Oscar-hunting scenes in the film's last half-hour, and she pulls them off like the pro she is. Were she trying to crash the best actress slate of, say, 2014 or 2009, I'd shrug it off. But with very strong, far more interesting performances already fighting for a spot on this year's crowded ballot, for her to slip through would be one of those "oh, Academy, will you ever grow up?" moments.

But I'm sure it'll get the obligatory costume design nomination. Ho-hum.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I agree with Precious Doll that Judi Dench is just wonderful in this and clearly the best thing about a filmwith some obvious problems (and tonal inconsistencies). I would not begrudge a nomination for her, even in this competitive year for Best Actress and I think the SAG bod is a good sign. The performance also made me recall fondly her breakout performance in Mrs. Brown, a completely different film.

I think the fifth spot is between Dench and Meryl Streep for The Post.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

V & A (Abdul, that is, not Albert you see) is an infantile, anachronistic and shamelessly as well as shamefully politically correct fantasy, played out as an unfunny, witless farce, relaying on grand period costumes, luscious British settings and above all the everybody-LOVES-Judi-Dench to win people over. It’s like a live action Disney cartoon about this sweet royal in distress (she even sings), with these loveable mice coming to help her in the shape of nice Indians, one charming and smart, one chubby and comical (the atrociousness of the way the character of Mohammed is written is beyond words), saving her from a conniving evil entourage (seeing Eddie Izzard and Olivia Williams as the Prince of Wells and Lady Churchill practically twerking and giving high fives when they thing they won is a sight to behold). Ludicrous.

And it’s another sad case of a sequel being an unimaginative remake of the original. Mrs. Brown, while not a major film, was an intelligent, mildly profound piece, featuring a fine performance by Dench. There’s no doubt she can act, but this time, the shortcomings of the film and the romanticized, trivial approach it takes in regard of the presentation of Victoria, as well as the fact that over the last 20 years she settled way too comfortably into her role of a National Treasure and an International Darling, make Dench’s turn into a neglectable crowd pleasing devise. A sure-fire nomination, for sure.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Judi Dench's performance is pretty much the best thing about this very pedestrain effort. She commands every scene that she is in and has the advantage of having by far the best written role. Actually it is the only well drawn character in the film. We really don't get much feel for Abdul which is such a shame. The film is likely to pick up a costume design/art direction nomination and Dench could squeak in. Let's face it, in the last 19 years she has received 7 nominations. Only Meryl Streep has had more nominations in the acting category than Dench so the Academy clearly love her. Particularly that 5 of those nominations were not deserved. She also did have the advantage of being part of the Miramax ' stable of actors and benefited the most from Harvey's 'for your consideration' campaigns. If I'm not mistaken 5 of her 7 nominations were from under Harvey's direction.

So I wouldn't rule Dench out just yet. Need to see how the film performs and how the performance of other potential candidates perform as well. Her work is not worthy of Oscar consideration but if the Academy can nomination Cate Blanchett for The Golden Age, which was both a terrible film and performance, then Dench who is good in a light piece of fluff that whilst not on the level of Mrs. Brown is much better than The Golden Age could be nominated.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Victoria & Abdul reviews

Post by Mister Tee »

Sounding like what some hoped for and others of us feared. A Dench nomination is always possible, but, given this year's competition, would likely be viewed as a Blanchett/Golden Age or Streep/Florence Foster sop to the fogie wing.

http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/vi ... 202545919/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review ... 17-1034862

https://www.screendaily.com/reviews/vic ... 34.article

Return to “2017”