Golden Globe Reactions

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Golden Globe Reactions

Post by Big Magilla »

Eenusch wrote:In all the years of the CB DeMille award (before Oprah) only twice, to Red Skelton and Lucille Ball, has it been given to someone who is primarily a television star.
They were primarily TV stars when they won, but both had long careers in film as well.
Eenusch
Graduate

Post by Eenusch »

In all the years of the CB DeMille award (before Oprah) only twice, to Red Skelton and Lucille Ball, has it been given to someone who is primarily a television star.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

anonymous1980 wrote:
Sabin wrote:But why not "all-white?"
I think some people consider Guillermo Del Toro a POC because of him being Mexican despite being technically a Caucasian.
As far as I know, Guillermo Del Toro is not technically Caucasian. He is not even figuratively Caucasian since that is a white supremacist word which surely was never intended to include him.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:
My apologies to Giorgio Napolitano. That was a silly comment, of which I seem to be making a lot lately. This cold really is making me delirious.
Ok :)

He's very old, true, but he was a good President. An extremely educated man, an intellectual and, yes, a communist, but in Italy this has been a crime only during the Fascist regime, which he always opposed, even when he was very young and Mussolini dominated the country. Most importantly, a honest person, which doesn't happen often in Italian politics...

I'm sure that there ARE politicians of this stature in America. Trump is certainly the exception not the rule. But I'm not sure that Oprah Winfrey is what America needs - unless the Democrats want their own version of Trump.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

She's not my dear Oprah.

I haven't given her a sustained thought in decades, but she is a good person and she will surround herself with smart people who unlike our current president, she will listen to, if this thing happens. She's laughed at the idea when they've brought it up before, but this time it seems to have momentum.

My apologies to Giorgio Napolitano. That was a silly comment, of which I seem to be making a lot lately. This cold really is making me delirious.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:America is certainly never boring, let's face it. I find the idea of Oprah Winfrey President of the United States a nightmare - or actually more like something out of a grotesque novel. But America IS looking more and more grotesque. And I am not American, so probably I shouldn't interfere.
At least we haven't put a new president in office to serve from age 81 to age 90.

Living former Presidents
There is one living former Italian President:
Living former Presidents

Giorgio Napolitano
(age 92)
served 2006–2015
So? What's the problem? Age, Big Magilla? Giorgio Napolitano is a great anti-fascist who is way MORE intelligent - even today - than your dear Oprah. Please explain anyway. But do it.
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

OscarGuy wrote:And Oprah Winfrey won the CBDeMille award because it's for both film AND television and there's no doubt that she has contributed to both, most especially television, having hosted the Oprah Winfrey Show for 25 years and 719 episodes. She has 35 TV credits as a producer, 5 movie credits as producer, 12 credits as a film actress, 11 credits as a TV actress. Maybe she's not an acting legend, but who said the CBDeMille award, named for a film director and producer, has to be given just to a TV or film actor?
Her acting credits (either medium) are respectable, but hardly the stuff of legend. The bulk of her career is in hosting and producing TV talk shows, for which there is no Golden Globes category. She won the award for being Oprah. An honorary/lifetime-achievement Emmy would be more fitting. If the Dems want to lose the next election, btw, nominating her is a great idea. I suspect/hope this is more of a trending hashtag than a serious notion.

As for the show...

I’ll be crushed if Metcalf loses the Oscar to Janney. It’s ironic that the one playing a fictional character (Metcalf) delivers a more realistic, vivid, human portrayal. I think everyone (except Tonya Harding) can see some of his or her mother in Marion McPherson. Melissa Leo already won in this decade for playing a one-note monster of a mother to an athlete whose career was derailed by what happened outside the arena. That should enough until the 2020s.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Last edited by flipp525 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:America is certainly never boring, let's face it. I find the idea of Oprah Winfrey President of the United States a nightmare - or actually more like something out of a grotesque novel. But America IS looking more and more grotesque. And I am not American, so probably I shouldn't interfere.
At least we haven't put a new president in office to serve from age 81 to age 90.

Living former Presidents
There is one living former Italian President:
Living former Presidents

Giorgio Napolitano
(age 92)
served 2006–2015
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Big Magilla wrote
Like her or not, Oprah knows how to deliver a speech, and her heart's in the right place. She may just be the one to clean up the mess left behind by the grotesques in charge of our government now. Another TV personality would not be my first choice, or even my tenth, but she could easily be the most personally popular president since JFK. Even half the dodos who voted for Trump would vote for her against him or Pence.
Sabin wrote
Keep dreaming...
I'm not dreaming, they really would. Maybe not the men so much, but the women, oh, yeah.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Big Magilla wrote
She is certainly a better choice than Woody Allen who didn't even have the grace to show up. That nonsense with Diane Keaton a few years back was the low point of this award.
Sabin wrote
Are you serious? Put aside what actually happened: it makes more sense to give the Cecil B. DeMille award to Oprah Winfrey than a guy who's written and directed almost fifty films?
Is it an award for excellence, or as you say, a chance to honor the biggest celebrities?

Actually, it's a little of both. It's not the Nobel Prize. It's a TV event. If you don't want to be on TV, don't accept the "honor".
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
Oprah is the first winner better known for her TV work than her film work. She is the also first winner better known for producing than acting since producer Walter Mirisch forty years ago.
I don't really have a problem with Oprah winning. She's a giant in the realm of daytime television, but she's been a prolific producer of miniseries, made-for-television films, and occasionally feature films. It just seems like The Cecil B. DeMille isn't really for contributions to film, but rather honoring the biggest celebrities and this year it made sense to give it to Oprah.
Big Magilla wrote
She is certainly a better choice than Woody Allen who didn't even have the grace to show up. That nonsense with Diane Keaton a few years back was the low point of this award.
Are you serious? Put aside what actually happened: it makes more sense to give the Cecil B. DeMille award to Oprah Winfrey than a guy who's written and directed almost fifty films?
Big Magilla wrote
Like her or not, Oprah knows how to deliver a speech, and her heart's in the right place. She may just be the one to clean up the mess left behind by the grotesques in charge of our government now. Another TV personality would not be my first choice, or even my tenth, but she could easily be the most personally popular president since JFK. Even half the dodos who voted for Trump would vote for her against him or Pence.
Keep dreaming...
"How's the despair?"
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:
Sabin wrote:
OscarGuy wrote
Maybe she's not an acting legend, but who said the CBDeMille award, named for a film director and producer, has to be given just to a TV or film actor?
I want Bob Dylan to win next year.
Oprah is the first winner better known for her TV work than her film work. She is the also first winner better known for producing than acting since producer Walter Mirisch forty years ago. She is certainly a better choice than Woody Allen who didn't even have the grace to show up. That nonsense with Diane Keaton a few years back was the low point of this award. Like her or not, Oprah knows how to deliver a speech, and her heart's in the right place. She may just be the one to clean up the mess left behind by the grotesques in charge of our government now. Another TV personality would not be my first choice, or even my tenth, but she could easily be the most personally popular president since JFK. Even half the dodos who voted for Trump would vote for her against him or Pence.

It still seems like a pipe dream, but she may well be the antidote to Trump that we need.
See? :)

America is certainly never boring, let's face it. I find the idea of Oprah Winfrey President of the United States a nightmare - or actually more like something out of a grotesque novel. But America IS looking more and more grotesque. And I am not American, so probably I shouldn't interfere.

Oh, but speaking about America... I don't want to upset the sensotive souls here, but it seems that the REAL victims of sexual harassment don't exactly disagree with ITALIANO about the hypocrisy on display the day before yesterday.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:
OscarGuy wrote
Maybe she's not an acting legend, but who said the CBDeMille award, named for a film director and producer, has to be given just to a TV or film actor?
I want Bob Dylan to win next year.
Oprah is the first winner better known for her TV work than her film work. She is the also first winner better known for producing than acting since producer Walter Mirisch forty years ago. She is certainly a better choice than Woody Allen who didn't even have the grace to show up. That nonsense with Diane Keaton a few years back was the low point of this award. Like her or not, Oprah knows how to deliver a speech, and her heart's in the right place. She may just be the one to clean up the mess left behind by the grotesques in charge of our government now. Another TV personality would not be my first choice, or even my tenth, but she could easily be the most personally popular president since JFK. Even half the dodos who voted for Trump would vote for her against him or Pence.

It still seems like a pipe dream, but she may well be the antidote to Trump that we need.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

anonymous1980 wrote:
Sabin wrote:But why not "all-white?"
I think some people consider Guillermo Del Toro a POC because of him being Mexican despite being technically a Caucasian.
Him being white can be associated with him being part of the cultural elite in Mexico. Him being Mexican is associated with him being conceived as "POC" by Americans. Racism is a question of geography too.

Return to “90th Predictions and Precursors”