Producers' Guild Awards

criddic3
Tenured

Re: Producers' Guild Awards

Post by criddic3 »

I actually did consider taking The Florida Project out and putting Wonder Woman in. Project's main enthusiasm seems to be for Dafoe's performance and hasn't shown up very much in other places.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

PGA nominees:

The Big Sick
Call Me by Your Name
Dunkirk
Get Out
I, Tonya
Lady Bird
Molly's Game
The Post
The Shape of Water
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Wonder Woman

Yep, there are ELEVEN nominees.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Another difference is the decade it took to bring this book to the screen. It's very much a feat of producing.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:I think Call Me By Your Name’s warmness (tonally and visually) may aid it this year (of all years, my god) over the overall coldness of Carol in 2015.
I totally agree with you on this.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Tee, you seem to be married to this Carol analogy (not one without merit). I really do hope you’re wrong.

I think Call Me By Your Name’s warmness (tonally and visually) may aid it this year (of all years, my god) over the overall coldness of Carol in 2015.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The kids at AwardsWatch think the combo of editing/WGA makes I, Tonya a sure thing. (They're very big on going to the wall with statistical combos over there.) They also think the WGA citation makes Logan more likely than Wonder Woman.

I'd actually forgotten Call Me by Your Name got AFI -- there's been so much disappointing news since. Then I went and checked, and saw Carol also got AFI, so it's not as reassuring as I'd hoped.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

My Predictions

Call Me by Your Name
Dunkirk
The Florida Project
Get Out
Lady Bird
Logan
Mudbound
The Post
The Shape of Water
Last edited by criddic3 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

After this morning, I have to wonder if I, Tonya doesn't at least have a shot at cracking the list.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

This list looks about right. My only question is about 'Darkest Hour.' It might not have the most passionate fans in the world, but it's not in 'The Danish Girl' territory yet, and there are some fairly strong producers on it who have been nominated for PGA awards before. But I don't know what it will replace. 'The Big Sick,' 'The Florida Project' or 'Wonder Woman?'
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Producers' Guild Awards

Post by anonymous1980 »

They announce in two days. My predictions:

The Big Sick
Call Me by Your Name
Dunkirk
The Florida Project
Get Out
Lady Bird
The Post
The Shape of Water
Wonder Woman

If that list looks familiar, it's also the AFI Top 10. Those feel like it could the PGA 10 as well. I mean, what else could take the place of the more vulnerable films like The Big Sick, The Florida Project and (sadly) Call Me By Your Name? The Disaster Artist? Phantom Thread? Mudbound? Blade Runner 2049? Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

Return to “90th Predictions and Precursors”