Golden Globes

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Golden Globes

Post by Sabin »

flipp525 wrote
Oh, god. I just do not get the Mary J. Blige nomination (here and elsewhere). She does absolutely nothing distinguishable in the movie.
It's very odd. It must be the voice-over that amplifies her presence in the film.

But the bench isn't very deep this year. Who did she beat out that was truly in the running? I love 'The Big Sick' but Holly Hunter isn't that great. Kristen Scott Thomas does less than Blige in 'Darkest Hour.' Nobody has seen 'Novitiate'. And 'Girls Trip' is more the Screen Actor's Guild's bag.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Winners and losers. Once again noted that these awards don't really matter. They simply indicate who the Academy MIGHT chose, not WILL.

BIGGEST WINNER
I don't really know who the biggest winner is. One moment, I think THE SHAPE OF WATER for getting seven nominations. The Best Picture race is still all over the place and one movie getting the most nominations certainly helps it stand out. The other moment, I think THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI. It shouldn't be surprising that a Martin McDonagh movie goes over well with the Hollywood Foreign Press but it got just as many nominations as THE POST. Coming off a week where it underperformed, this mattered. It now stands an excellent chance at taking Best Actress and even Best Screenplay. But it was only set-back by the past week, and if you want to talk set-back, I don't think any movie had a bigger hurdle to overcome than ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD. We haven't seen this thing yet but it picked up three nominations for directing and acting. Tough calls but I'm going to say THE SHAPE OF WATER because it has a real chance to win Best Picture and that just became a little more evident today.

BIGGEST LOSER
GET OUT. Sure, it picked up nominations for Best Picture and Actor, but it had a lot of momentum and it couldn't muster a screenplay nomination over Aaron Sorkin's Molly's Game. I expect it will do better at the Screen Actor's Guild nominations but a bad day for Jordan Peele. Also as has been stated elsewhere, THE BIG SICK did terribly in all categories. It couldn't get a picture nomination over THE GREATEST SHOWMAN, Nanjiani couldn't get an acting nomination over Ansel Egort, and Holly Hunter couldn't get an acting nomination over Mary J. Blige or Hong Chau. I'd also agree that DARKEST HOUR had a pretty bad day. Sure, Gary Oldman will likely win, but it didn't even pick up a nomination for music. Darkest Hour has two things over The Florida Project: 1) box office and 2) Oscar bait. The second one apparently wasn't the case today.

PREDICTED WINNERS
BEST MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA: THE SHAPE OF WATER
BEST MOTION PICTURE – COMEDY/MUSICAL: LADY BIRD
BEST ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA: DARKEST HOUR / Gary Oldman
BEST ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE – COMEDY/MUSICAL: THE DISASTER ARTIST / James Franco
BEST ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA: THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI / Frances McDormand
BEST ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE – COMEDY/MUSICAL: LADY BIRD/ Saoirse Ronan
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: THE FLORIDA PROJECT / Willem DaFoe
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: LADY BIRD / Laurie Metcalf
BEST DIRECTOR: DUNKIRK / Christopher Nolan
BEST SCREENPLAY: THE POST / Liz Hannah and Josh Singer
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE: THE SHAPE OF WATER / Alexandre Desplat
BEST ORIGINAL SONG: COCO / “I Remember”
BEST ANIMATED FILM: COCO
BEST FOREIGN-LANGUAGE FILM: FIRST THEY CAME FOR MY FATHER
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Oh, god. I just do not get the Mary J. Blige nomination (here and elsewhere). She does absolutely nothing distinguishable in the movie.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ThePianist
Graduate

Post by ThePianist »

anonymous1980 wrote:
ThePianist wrote:I'm not too shocked at Christopher Plummer, I kinda saw this coming.

However, I am absolutely floored with that Ridley Scott Nom. Like, what the actual f**k?
I guess enough of them were impressed by how fast he worked to replace Kevin Spacey.

Christopher Plummer got nominated for a performance he literally shot a month ago!

Mariah Carey and Nick Jonas got nominated over Surfjan Stevens. I should have known the Globes would do that.
Yeah, I think McDonagh will probably be snubbed for the Oscar. (Ridley is a guaranteed miss.) It's common for the Globes to nominate 1 or 2 Directors that'll end up missing the cut. Also I know everyone here is probably irritated by my consistent mentioning of "Stats" :lol:, but not since 'Crash' has a BP Winner missed the Globe Nom for Best Director. And even before that, It was the very definition of "constant."

So I suppose 'Lady Bird' and CMBYN are out? I dunno. I'm well aware that the AMPAS and HFPA are very distinct in their opinions, and this doesn't automatically change the course of the Oscars race. They don't have a LITERAL effect on each other. I'm just going to wait until the Oscar Director noms are announced to be sure. After all, that's usually a better guarantee for what could happen.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

ThePianist wrote:I'm not too shocked at Christopher Plummer, I kinda saw this coming.

However, I am absolutely floored with that Ridley Scott Nom. Like, what the actual f**k?
I guess enough of them were impressed by how fast he worked to replace Kevin Spacey.

Christopher Plummer got nominated for a performance he literally shot a month ago!

Mariah Carey and Nick Jonas got nominated over Surfjan Stevens. I should have known the Globes would do that.
ThePianist
Graduate

Post by ThePianist »

I'm not too shocked at Christopher Plummer, I kinda saw this coming.

ThePianist
Graduate

Post by ThePianist »

Might be a tad bit early to start predicting, but what the hell. :roll:

Best Motion Picture (Drama): Dunkirk (Alt: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Best Motion Picture (Musical/Comedy): Get Out
Best Motion Picture (Animated): Coco
Best Actor in a Motion Picture (Drama): Timothée Chalamet - Call Me by Your Name
Best Actress in a Motion Picture (Drama): Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (Alt: Sally Hawkins - TSOW)
Best Actor in a Motion Picture (Musical/Comedy): James Franco, The Disaster Artist
Best Actress in a Motion Picture (Musical/Comedy): Saoirse Ronan - Lady Bird
Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture: Willem Dafoe - The Florida Project
Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture: Allison Janney - I, Tonya (Alt: Laurie Metcalf - Lady Bird)
Best Director (Motion Picture): Christopher Nolan - Dunkirk
Best Screenplay (Motion Picture): Lady Bird
Best Original Score (Motion Picture): Phantom Thread (Alt: The Shape of Water)
Best Foreign Film: The Square
Best Original Song (Motion Picture): Coco – ‘Remember Me’
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

criddic3 wrote:
mlrg wrote:Have they announced the Cecil B. de Mille awards? If not, I predict Daniel Day Lewis.
Not a bad guess, though if he hadn't been nominated today I would've picked Tom Hanks. Wait, Day-Lewis was also nominated so scratch that. lol
Streep won last year and was also nominated
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Biggest Loser: Pretty clearly The Big Sick, which completely blanked, when most of us had it down for Picture/Actor/Supporting Actress, with Actress and Screenplay not out of the question either.

Biggest Winner: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, which some people had been telling me was totally out of the Best Picture race, but got basically every nomination it might have, including not-certain Director/Original Score citations.

Also Kind of a Big Winner: All the Money in the World. Magilla had been touting Christopher Plummer (in what must be a record for the fastest turn-around from filming to award nomination in history), but did anyone see Scott and Williams coming?

Also Kind of a Big Loser: Darkest Hour, which I truly feared could crack the Best Picture slate due to British-ness, but only mustered up a measly nomination for Oldman.

They Hung On There: Both Get Out (no Director/Screenplay) and Call Me By Your Name (no Director/Screenplay/Song/Stuhlbarg) certainly didn't crash and burn, but both underperformed expectations.

As for general thoughts, I don't think that Director lineup carries over exactly to either DGA or Oscar...but that IS the kind of lineup (a bunch of veterans) that's pretty typical of that category, with the directors that haven't had films in the awards conversation before (Peele, Gerwig, Guadagnino, Baker) sitting on the sidelines.

It'll be interesting to see if Willem Dafoe, with his movie's only nomination, can carry on his winning streak against pretty solid competition from more widely-nominated films.

I guess the Mary J. Blige thing is more than just blogger hype -- which I never would have seen coming. I DID see Hong Chau coming -- in a field where much of the competition is generally good but lacking big scenes, she has those in spades. And as for the Haddish omission, it's worth noting the Globes didn't go for Melissa McCarthy/Bridesmaids either (my main reason for not predicting her today) -- I think SAG is a more likely place for her to show up.

Props to Sabin for predicting Aaron Sorkin, who has basically never missed a Screenplay nomination from this group, and still managed to place for this less-heralded work over some pretty impressive competition.

I don't really have a ton to say about the TV nominations, except for to point out how hilarious it is to see Jessica Biel nominated alongside all those Oscar winners in her category.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

mlrg wrote:Have they announced the Cecil B. de Mille awards? If not, I predict Daniel Day Lewis.
Not a bad guess, though if he hadn't been nominated today I would've picked Tom Hanks. Wait, Day-Lewis was also nominated so scratch that. lol
Last edited by criddic3 on Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

Big Magilla wrote:So, which one do you think Ridley Scott supplanted?
Peele, since Get Out is likely to win its category.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

MaxWilder wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
MaxWilder wrote:No Jordan Peele or Greta Gerwig? Vom.
Gerwig is nominated for Best Screenplay. Not sure if Get Out's nomination for Best Comedy counts as one for Peele who produced it.
Should have clarified; I meant for director.
So, which one do you think Ridley Scott supplanted?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I see I left out Best Song, but then Reza re-posted the entire list including that.
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

Big Magilla wrote:
MaxWilder wrote:No Jordan Peele or Greta Gerwig? Vom.
Gerwig is nominated for Best Screenplay. Not sure if Get Out's nomination for Best Comedy counts as one for Peele who produced it.
Should have clarified; I meant for director.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

I guess the Tiffany Hadish thing lasted a week. The trailer for this film looks dreadful.

Will Gary Oldman attend?

Have they announced the Cecil B. de Mille awards? If not, I predict Daniel Day Lewis.

Return to “90th Predictions and Precursors”