Oscar Predictions & Race Discussion Thread - July to Toronto

flipp525
Laureate

Re: Oscar Predictions & Race Discussion Thread - July to Toronto

Post by flipp525 »

bizarre wrote:Has The Wife been picked up with a release plan for this year? Someone earlier in the thread said it had been sent to next year a la Away from Her, but I couldn't find anything backing that claim up.
I'm sorry, that was me. I heard it on another message board I frequent and took it at face value without following up on it. It made so much sense to me that a distributor would hold off on dropping it now after having seen the surfeit of contenders this year.

The Children Act is definitely moving to next year though.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
bizarre
Assistant

Post by bizarre »

Has The Wife been picked up with a release plan for this year? Someone earlier in the thread said it had been sent to next year a la Away from Her, but I couldn't find anything backing that claim up.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Curiously, neither of the main Hollywood trades have weighed in yet on The Wife. There's definitely buzz for Close's performance, but it's not from front-line critics yet. And enthusiasm for the film itself appears lower-grade. I'd think, given the already-hyper-competitive level of the best actress category, whoever picks it up might think, let's open it up next Spring, have it be a pace-setter for next year's race (a la Away from Her/La Vie en Rose), and hope the law of averages gives Close an easier field with which to compete. The apparently=deserving performance could get lost in this year's contest.

Since this appears to have become an unofficial Beatriz at Dinner review thread, I'll throw in that I started to watch it last night, and turned it off after about 45 minutes. I almost NEVER do that, but I found the movie insufferable -- all the "look how clueless and condescending these rich people are" stuff was insultingly heavy-handed to me. And the character of Beatriz, who it felt like I was supposed to view as saintly (beatific, as it were), was equally annoying to me -- she acted as if every time she deigned to open her mouth, she was entitled to talk as long-windedly as she chose. Obviously, I'm more in tune with her view of the world than the Lithgow character's, but her persona was so grating, I found myself thinking it'd be a nightmare to be in a room with either. Nothing particular against Hayek; I just found the character unbearable (to revert to a previous against-the-grain position: not unlike the Sally Hawkins character in Happy-Go-Lucky -- so I guess we can count on Hayek sweeping the critics' awards).

Anyway, about the time Hayek made the call to her friend checking to see if Lithgow's character was the one she'd protested at some point, I made the decision the film wasn't going anywhere I'd like, so I pressed eject and went on to something more enjoyable. If, as you folk say, the film deteriorated from there, I'd call it one of my more prescient decisions.
ThePianist
Graduate

Post by ThePianist »

Here's a neat analysis I've heard; Every BP winner after The Departed had a screening at either Cannes, Venice or Telluride. And also had a US release before December. If the coincidental trend doesn't stop, one of these film could win Best Picture:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:Magilla, it was announced that Sunset Boulevard IS being made into a movie.
It's been announced several times over the last few decades. I'll believe it when the cameras actually start rolling.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Magilla, it was announced that Sunset Boulevard IS being made into a movie.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The killing of the rhino and its obvious parallel to the killing of Beatriz's goat was highly appropriate, but it led to that bizarre slasher incident that really belonged in another film. And, oh, that ending!
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:
flipp525 wrote:I don't think she has a chance in hell at this point given the way the Best Actress seems to be shaping up, but I wanted to throw a bone to Salma Hayek, an actress by whom I've never been particularly impressed, who showed new and interesting colors in the very topical Beatriz at Dinner. As a character-driven chamber-piece, I found the movie very successful (some visual ambiguities notwithstanding) and so much of its success is due to Hayek's confident, ferocious performance.

John Lithgow has been absent from the Oscars since his back-to-back nominations in the '80s, but his very Trumpian performance in the same film should also be thrown into the amorphous Best Supporting Actor race conversation.
I saw Beatriz at Dinner last tonight and couldn't agree more with every word of your post. Though I should add that I loved Selma Hayek's voice work in Sausage Party - she stole the film.
I agree with you guys for maybe two-thirds of Beatriz at Dinner, but once we get into the killing of the rhinoceros and beyond, and the comedy ends, it's an entirely different film with an ending that doesn't belong anywhere near this otherwise delicate film.
True that it loses it's way a little in the third act and without spoiling it for anyone who hasn't seen Beatriz at Dinner I could have done without a particular scene that was virtually straight out of a slasher film.

The discussion of the killing of the Rhino was totally appropriate and essential for the film. Maybe I take this view because to my horror last month when I attended the Melbourne Film Festival, one of the films I saw (and the only one that my partner refused to go to) was a documentary called Trophy. I believed it opened a week or two ago in the U.S. and it failed at the box-office which was understandable. The subject matter, game hunting in Africa, was a real eye opener. I had no idea that people paid to kill animals and that animals were bred for that sole purpose. That John Lithgow's character would take part in that was totally believable.

Trophy was tough to sit through but and as good as it was won't be going anywhere near a documentary nomination simply for the reason that a lot of people would not watch it.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote:
flipp525 wrote:I don't think she has a chance in hell at this point given the way the Best Actress seems to be shaping up, but I wanted to throw a bone to Salma Hayek, an actress by whom I've never been particularly impressed, who showed new and interesting colors in the very topical Beatriz at Dinner. As a character-driven chamber-piece, I found the movie very successful (some visual ambiguities notwithstanding) and so much of its success is due to Hayek's confident, ferocious performance.

John Lithgow has been absent from the Oscars since his back-to-back nominations in the '80s, but his very Trumpian performance in the same film should also be thrown into the amorphous Best Supporting Actor race conversation.
I saw Beatriz at Dinner last tonight and couldn't agree more with every word of your post. Though I should add that I loved Selma Hayek's voice work in Sausage Party - she stole the film.
I agree with you guys for maybe two-thirds of Beatriz at Dinner, but once we get into the killing of the rhinoceros and beyond, and the comedy ends, it's an entirely different film with an ending that doesn't belong anywhere near this otherwise delicate film.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Close has been nominated for an Oscar six times, three in supporting and three in lead. The three times she was nominated in lead she was up against Meryl Streep, losing to Cher in Moonstruck, Jodie Foster in The Accused and Streep herself, who picked up her third Oscar for The Iron Lady. With all the strong candidates already out there, turning this into another Streep-Close race seems like a been there-done that exercise we don't really need.

I would love to see Close finally get her long overdue Oscar, but this role doesn't seem like the vehicle with which she can do it in such strong competition. She plays a woman who is the force behind a powerful husband who finally - I don't want to give away any spoilers - but you can figure it out long before it actually happens in this film that is mostly all flashbacks.

Now, if she would actually make Sunset Boulevard...
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Glenn Close is in the race now.
"How's the despair?"
ThePianist
Graduate

Post by ThePianist »

Anyone else a bit nervous about how safe Oldman's win feels right now?
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I don't think she has a chance in hell at this point given the way the Best Actress race seems to be shaping up, but I wanted to throw a bone to Salma Hayek, an actress by whom I've never been particularly impressed, who showed new and interesting colors in the very topical Beatriz at Dinner. As a character-driven chamber-piece, I found the movie very successful (some visual ambiguities notwithstanding) and so much of its success is due to Hayek's confident, ferocious performance.

Last edited by flipp525 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Sabin wrote:I'm betting against Ridley Scott ever getting his Oscar.
He will get a Honorary one

Return to “90th Predictions and Precursors”