BAFTA Nominations

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: BAFTA Nominations

Post by OscarGuy »

Denzel Washington plays Denzel Washington. He has seldom broken the mold he established for himself in films like Glory and Malcolm X. That's not necessarily a bad thing. His Malcolm X performance is masterful. However, I would say that much of his repertoire, successful as it may be, isn't that impressive. He's compared often to Sidney Poitier and there is little doubt he is far inferior.

I like Nocturnal Animals quite a lot. I find its bleakness to be a solid selling point. Aaron Taylor-Johnson may seem one-note for a good portion of it, but keep in mind that this figure is a deranged bogeyman set about to torment our male protagonist in a novel being read by our female protagonist. If he weren't a superficial, seemingly one-note character, it wouldn't have the impact it did. In that final confrontation, things do change. The cocky bravado disappears replaced by something more genuine and appealing.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

criddic3 wrote:
This saddens me a little. Denzel Washington has long been one of my favorite actors. It is surprising that he is not taken seriously outside the U.S. His 45 films have grossed a combined $2,371,557,106 domestically (more than $3 billion worldwide) since 1981.
Of course he IS famous even here, and some of his movies have been successful at the box office (though, I guess, a bit less here than in the US). What I meant is that he's not taken seriously as an ACTOR - not many consider him to be a great or even good performer. Talent and fame aren't necessarily connected.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

ITALIANO wrote:
Bog wrote:
ITALIANO wrote: but he isn't taken seriously as an actor here.
And I don't think you really ever believed that Denzel Washington - despite those two frankly absurd Oscars - was a great and impressive actor.)
This saddens me a little. Denzel Washington has long been one of my favorite actors. It is surprising that he is not taken seriously outside the U.S. His 45 films have grossed a combined $2,371,557,106 domestically (more than $3 billion worldwide) since 1981.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

FilmFan720 wrote:
anonymous1980 wrote:ZOOTROPOLIS Byron Howard, Rich Moore
Did this have a different name overseas?
In my country, Portugal, it was called Zootropolis.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

anonymous1980 wrote:ZOOTROPOLIS Byron Howard, Rich Moore
Did this have a different name overseas?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

ITALIANO wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:CAN NOCTURNAL ANIMALS PLEASE JUST GO AWAY?!

:)

Original, why do you hate this movie so much?
I wrote in my review the things I disliked about it (as well as, to be fair, elements that did impress me). It's not even my least favorite contender -- I think Hacksaw Ridge is far worse. But, for all its aesthetic gloss and strong performances, I found the core of Nocturnal Animals to be hateful, and it's really hard for me to tolerate this awards run as a result. I mean, NINE nominations is really insane.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

No Jenkins in director. But Tom Ford instead.

Hayley Squires is indeed terrific and I'm glad she showed up.

No Negga in Loving seems like a death knell.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Bog wrote:
Alright I'll be the one who pisses the bed and take the bait...sounds like another in the long line of things you guys have correct.
:D

We make mistakes too... /And I don't think you really ever believed that Denzel Washington - despite those two frankly absurd Oscars - was a great and impressive actor.)

But I think I was actually quite right about America - despite the attacks here. But this is another story.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Precious Doll wrote:He was one-note in Nocturnal Animals,
Someone here should tell me one day how that role - written in that way - could have been played better or more effectively. I am patient and can wait.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Alright I'll be the one who pisses the bed and take the bait...sounds like another in the long line of things you guys have correct.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

ITALIANO wrote:
Big Magilla wrote: His breakout role as the young John Lennon in Nowhere Boy was one of the best breakout performances of the last decade.
Yes.
Now I know who Aaron Taylor-Johnson is and I was getting him confused with Aaron Paul. I've seen Taylor-Johnson in a number of films and with the exception of Kick-Ass (only the first one as I never saw the second) have largely remained unimpressed with him. He was one-note in Nocturnal Animals, though to be fair the role doesn't allow for much more than that. Looking up Aaron Paul I see that I have only seen a couple of films that he has appeared in and I don't actually recall him.

It's virtually impossible to keep track of the huge number of young actors working today. Also to be honest as I get older I'm not that interested in most of the up and coming stars and so many of them are seemingly interchangeable.

Given he is a Brit it no surprise he made their list.

And by the way I've also been a big fan of Pia Zadora.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote: His breakout role as the young John Lennon in Nowhere Boy was one of the best breakout performances of the last decade.
Yes.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I did not compare Aaron Taylor-Johnson to Pia Zadora, I compared his win to her win. Both were to my mind, odd, Golden Globes only choices. With BAFTA repeating, he has to be taken more seriously.

This is a fairly conventional awards year in which there are a handful of films that appeal to almost everyone - the top four and five others seem to be on everyone's list. Check out the PGA predictions in which so far we agree on all but the tenth selection.

The acting categories fall similarly in line. The hardest to predict is supporting actor where there are four strong choices - Ali, Bridges, Hedges and Patel - and a wild card. Until BAFTA's announcement, I would have thought Michael Shannon was the stronger contender from Nocturnal Animals for that slot. Now, I'm not so sure.

By the way, Pia may be a lousy actress, but she is a very good singer. I have two of her CDs, Pia and Phil and the aptly tiled I Am What I Am from the Jerry Herman tune included in the album. Similarly, Aaron Taylor-Johnson can be a very fine actor. His breakout role as the young John Lennon in Nowhere Boy was one of the best breakout performances of the last decade.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

The Original BJ wrote:CAN NOCTURNAL ANIMALS PLEASE JUST GO AWAY?!

:)

Original, why do you hate this movie so much? I mean - it's not worse than Sleepless in Seattle, really... But it's an interesting thing. This is a movie which some hate with such a passion, such an anger even, that I went there expecting a sort of provocative, disturbing artistic work a la Pasolini. Needless to say, it's not - it's too "pretty", too carefully shot, too intellectually obvious - and not violent enough (by my standards). Still, I guess that BY TODAY'S STANDARDS, this movie CAN be considered, strange as it may seem, problematic and provocative. So in a way I feel that such reactions - on this board but also elsewhere and, let me point it out, only from Americans - are the proof that this movie works, that it has the intended effect on a certain kind of audience. It shocks them, it doesnt leave them indifferent; it is, in its own way, successful. It's a pity that it's just not very good (though the acting in it is - I've seen Aaron Taylor-Johnson compared here to PIA ZADORA - are we crazy?!).

I'm not sure that the Academy will give it as many nominations as the Globes and the BAFTA did (they are, after all, mostly Americans), and I'm not saying that it deserves them - but for example Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Editing could happen there, too.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Precious Doll wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:
Pretty weird not to see Denzel Washington in the Best Actor lineup.
Washington has never been nominated for a BFTA. Some people on imdb are trying to pass this off as racism but the reality is that outside the U.S., aside from his 'action' films, there is very little interest in Denzel Washington as an thespian.
This is very true actually. Of course people know who he is, and he's been in some commercial hits, but he isn't taken seriously as an actor here.

Return to “89th Predictions and Precursors”