Morris From America
Paterson
Sing Street
Swiss Army Man
The Witch

ADAPTED
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Lion

Not as many Oscar-likely exclusions as in some years. Obviously, many of the titles here aren't likely Oscar nominees, but I tried to list anything I could think of that would even be vaguely in the conversation. (And I'm just eye-balling, so it's possible I missed something.)

The only two I'd peg as really being seriously Oscar-possible are The Lobster and Lion. (Though I'm bummed I can't express my enthusiasm for American Honey on my ballot!)

As usual, animated and foreign language screenplays are (for the most part) ineligible, so no Zootopia, Moana, Toni Erdmann, The Handmaiden, or Julieta either, among titles still trying to make an Oscar play.

However, I do want to point out that Elle IS on the eligibility list. I wonder if this has something to do with the fact that it was written in English first, and initially planned as an American film, before it became a French one.

Also, it's worth mentioning here that the studios have been extremely down on their screener game this year; barely anything has been sent to WGA members, and that's honestly how most people voting see the year-end titles. I'll be interested to see if that has any effect on what gets nominated.

Return to “89th Predictions and Precursors”