Trivia

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Re: Trivia

Post by The Original BJ »

At some point, we had a list going of movies that featured the most acting Oscar winners. And it's worth noting how quickly The Help has joined those ranks, with Sissy Spacek, Mary Steenburgen, and Octavia Spencer now joined by (in only two years) Emma Stone, Viola Davis, and Allison Janney. And it's easy to imagine a scenario where Jessica Chastain joins them soon enough, with (maybe) David Oyelowo a possibility at some point down the road as well.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

The average age of the winning actresses (59) is higher than the average age of the winning actors (54), which is a semi-rare occurrence. And with an average age of 56.5, I'd guess this is one of the older groups of actors to win.

The average age of the winning actresses backs up Uri's thesis from a few years back, that an over-40 Best Actress tends to be paired with a non-babe Supporting Actress.

Best Cinematography went to a non-Best Picture nominee for the first time post-expansion. This leaves, I think, Director, Original Screenplay, Adapted Screenplay, Score, and Sound Mixing as the only categories that has only been awarded to Best Picture nominees post-expansion. (Sound Editing is an odd case: A Best Picture nominee has won every year since the expansion, but thanks to the tie in 2012, a non-Best Picture nominee has won once as well.)
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Uri wrote:
dws1982 wrote:Has any married couple ever won more than six Oscars between the two of them?
Technically, one might say Walt Disney and his wife, or Edith Head and her husband (she did have one, didn't she?) fit the bill, but really, unless you allow Tracy and Hepburn in, I can't think of other cases.
Edith Head and Wiard Ihnen together won 10 (eight for Head and two for Ihnen).
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

mlrg wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:When was the last time both winners of the writing awards received standing ovations? I can't think of any.
Spike Jonze for Her and John Ridley for 12 years a slave
So not that long ago. I remember the one for Ridley, but not the one for Jonze.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Big Magilla wrote:When was the last time both winners of the writing awards received standing ovations? I can't think of any.
Spike Jonze for Her and John Ridley for 12 years a slave
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

When was the last time both winners of the writing awards received standing ovations? I can't think of any.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

We can speculate that had the Academy been honoring costume designers in the '30s and '40s, Janet Gaynor and Adrian may have fit the bill too.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

dws1982 wrote:Has any married couple ever won more than six Oscars between the two of them?
Technically, one might say Walt Disney and his wife, or Edith Head and her husband (she did have one, didn't she?) fit the bill, but really, unless you allow Tracy and Hepburn in, I can't think of other cases.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

inky wrote:Is this the first time ever in the history of Academy Awards that the Best Picture winners in two consecutive years have at least one African American (or non-white) acting nominee (or winner) respectively?
I'd say so.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

Is this the first time ever in the history of Academy Awards that the Best Picture winners in two consecutive years have at least one African American (or non-white) acting nominee (or winner) respectively?
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Frances McDormand and Joel Coen now have six Oscars between them. This puts them up with Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh as well as Dante Ferretti and Francesca Lo Schiavo. However, Ferretti's and Lo Schiavo's three wins each were all "shared" (they won together in the same category), and two of Jackson's and Walsh's were "shared". McDormand and Coen won all of theirs separately (although Coen's Oscar wins were all "shared" with his brother).

Has any married couple ever won more than six Oscars between the two of them?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I mentioned this is another post but worth mentioning here. Frances McDormand is the first actress to win two best actress Oscars that has never won a New York Film Critics award.

Chile received it first Foreign Language Film Oscar.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

HI All,

Have not been posting for quite a while due to heavy work commitments. Just to contribute one trivia which I've taken note for quite a while :-

Venice Film Festival has become the last of the three top film festivals in the world that has given its top award (Golden Lion) to a future Oscar Best Picture.

The other two film festivals did this once each :- Cannes gave its first Palme d'Or (before that year, the top awards were known as "Grand Prix") to Marty in 1955 (I don't want to count in 1946 when it honored not one but 11 films with Grand Prix including The Lost Weekend), and Berlin presented Golden Bear to Rain Main in 1989.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Trivia

Post by anonymous1980 »

I guess I'll start this thread.

- With his Original Song win, Robert Lopez becomes the first person ever to double-EGOT, meaning he has at least two of each award.

- Kobe Bryant is not only the first NBA player to win an Oscar, he's also the first African-American to get nominated for AND win the Best Animated Short Film award.

- At 89, James Ivory is officially the oldest Oscar winner ever in any category.

- Although several African-Americans have won in the Adapted category, Jordan Peele is the first African-American to win the Original Screenplay category.

- The Shape of Water is the first Best Picture winner since Braveheart to win without a SAG Best Ensemble nomination.

Any others?

Return to “90th Nominations and Winners”