90th Oscars: Adapted Screenplay

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: 90th Oscars: Adapted Screenplay

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll wrote:
Greg wrote:There is one thing that struck me about Ivory's speech. He thanked both Ruth Jhabvala and Ismail Merchant and mentioned both of them as "life partners," not business partners. I know Ivory had a romantic relationship with Merchant. Did he also have one with Jhabvala?
I don't think so but from what I gathered over the years they were all very good friends. Merchant & Ivory were never really open about their personal relationship which is fair enough as It's a personal choice if you wish to publicly discuss those sorts of things.
Jhabvala lived with them in their house in MA especially after her husband died. So she was like family and sort of a "life partner" along with having been with them from the start of their careers as "business partners".
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Greg wrote:There is one thing that struck me about Ivory's speech. He thanked both Ruth Jhabvala and Ismail Merchant and mentioned both of them as "life partners," not business partners. I know Ivory had a romantic relationship with Merchant. Did he also have one with Jhabvala?
I don't think so but from what I gathered over the years they were all very good friends. Merchant & Ivory were never really open about their personal relationship which is fair enough as It's a personal choice if you wish to publicly discuss those sorts of things.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

There is one thing that struck me about Ivory's speech. He thanked both Ruth Jhabvala and Ismail Merchant and mentioned both of them as "life partners," not business partners. I know Ivory had a romantic relationship with Merchant. Did he also have one with Jhabvala?
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Besides Best Picture, this was the category I was most anticipating to see. I'm delighted to see Ivory win it. Never say it's too late.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Finally
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Quite the round of enthusiastic applause...
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This was an incredibly affecting win for me.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

90th Oscars: Adapted Screenplay

Post by OscarGuy »

Call Me by Your Name
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “90th Nominations and Winners”