90th Oscars: Ceremony & Pre-Show Discussion

Uri
Adjunct

Re: 90th Oscars: Ceremony & Pre-Show Discussion

Post by Uri »

Here in Israel, in order to have a multichannel tv, you either go with a cable service or satellite one. For years, both have carried the Oscars, but yesterday, I found out that this year, the show was to be broadcast only by the satellite service. Guess what I have. So I had to watch it online, and it wasn’t a smooth ride. I missed most of the opening monologue and I had to switch links often during the show, so this ordeal might have clouded my overall take on the show.

It stunk, didn’t it? There was no flow to it, no sparkle. And that complete sense of predictability – would it have killed them to have one or two surprise presenters, since the identity of the winners was a given? It would have been nice to have Eve Marie Saint as one (she was lovely, if slightly under edited). I didn’t have a Casey Affleck like winner I was truly invested in (and I really missed him as a rightful presenter last night), but I did enjoy some of the winners on stage (Rockwell, even Janney despite her onscreen performance, Peele, Ivory – although in the spirit of his film, he only acknowledged Ismail Merchant as his longtime producer, and McDormand’s over-the-top-ness). As for the other stuff, my reactions ran the gamut from indifference to mild annoyance. The musical numbers were, well, mostly bad. And while I got the mirror reference to last year (smart) gag, this year interaction-with-the-plebeians was a misfire, as was practically all of Kimmel’s stint.

But yes, what sealed the deal for me was the disrespect to Jeanne Moreau. Unforgivable. It only reinforces my stand that the Oscars should leave world cinema alone, since they are only capable of randomly hand it meager crumbs without ever fully recognize its true merit. Leave Moreau out of your In Memoriam – you will have more room for people like Malone who truly belong there.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:The In Memoriam section was good. Pleasantly surprised to see that Idrissa Ouedraogo & Seijun Suzuki were deservedly included. I thought the actors they selected to show a short clip from were all well chosen, though I would have added Jean Moreau & Harry Dean Stanton myself.
But where the hell was Dorothy Malone? And although he wasn't all that well known, Eva Marie Saint's husband Jeff Hayden had a substantial career as a director, albeit mostly on TV. It would have been a nice gesture to have included him as a thank-you to her.
Big Magilla wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:The In Memoriam section was good. Pleasantly surprised to see that Idrissa Ouedraogo & Seijun Suzuki were deservedly included. I thought the actors they selected to show a short clip from were all well chosen, though I would have added Jean Moreau & Harry Dean Stanton myself.
But where the hell was Dorothy Malone? And although he wasn't all that well known, Eva Marie Saint's husband Jeff Hayden had a substantial career as a director, albeit mostly on TV. It would have been a nice gesture to have included him as a thank-you to her.
I only realised Dorothy Malone was not included about two and a half hours ago. I was looking at the imdb website list of In Memoriam on my iPhone before a film was about to start at the cinema and it struck me that Dorothy Malone was missing along with Tobe Hooper & Dina Merrill.

I know in the past they have missed nominated actors (Dorothy McGuire, Diane Cilento, Joyce Redman all come to mind) in the past but I don't ever recall an actor that has won an Oscar not being included.

Don't know if this is an urban myth or not but I believe that when the Academy had their 70th Anniversary get together of all the previous winners, Dorothy Malone wasn't invited. The excuse was that someone thought she had passed away and apparently and understandably if true was very upset.

Maybe she instructed her family to advise the Academy not to include her in their In Memoriam section. I know that sounds silly but I would really like to know why the Academy didn't include her.

Tobe Hooper & Dina Merrill was also not included but they are nowhere near as glaring as Dorothy Malone's omission.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm sorry, Reza, but you're wrong as usual. Since you're not an American and don't live in America, you can't possibly see or understand the sea change that is happening. It takes ripples and I've seen it in the environment I'm in. There's some backlash, of course, but I've seen a genuine effort to step up and acknowledge the worst and fight for the best and the Hollywood movement IS responsible.

All progress comes from a visible position where those in positions of power are held to a standard. We saw it in the rejection of Roy Moore. We saw it in the wave of Democrats taking contests in deep-red territories. What's happened in Hollywood has ignited a spark in this nation and if we ignore that and just "get over it" or "stop talking about it," it will fade. It will stop progressing. THAT's why America regresses is that we stop talking about it and think now we get it, but we don't.

What Hollywood is doing by keeping the movement alive is by not letting it fade to the background, not patting ourselves on the back for making small amounts of progress. You can't be a force for change by saying "we did enough" and moving on. As our own history has shown, doing enough really isn't enough. You don't win a war through a single battle or a series of battles and you certainly don't win by saying "well, we did our best."
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Original BJ wrote:Most irritating trend: referring to Oscar winners by CEREMONY YEAR instead of MOVIE YEAR (On the Waterfront as 1955's Best Picture, West Side Story as 1962's Best Picture). Outside the Dolby Theatre, the Best Picture winners are all listed...by MOVIE YEAR...so I'm not sure why the Academy suddenly decided to go by the obnoxious IMDb method on the show instead. (They also weren't consistent -- McConaughey said Editing was first given in 1934, which WAS the movie year, not the ceremony year.)
Ditto. It annoyed me as well.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:
The Original BJ wrote: The best moments were the two "at last" victories for James Ivory and Roger Deakins.
The In Memoriam section was good. Pleasantly surprised to see that Idrissa Ouedraogo & Seijun Suzuki were deservedly included. I thought the actors they selected to show a short clip from were all well chosen, though I would have added Jean Moreau & Harry Dean Stanton myself.
Both Jeanne Moreau and Harry Dean Stanton were included.

It was also nice to see they included Shashi Kapoor and especially Sridevi who died just a few days ago.
Just to clarify, I meant that they should have included a clip of Stanton & Moreau as they did for John Heard, Sam Shepard, Glenn Headly & Jerry Lewis.

Question: does anyone know what film the clip of John Heard was from? I'm thinking it may have been Chilly Scenes of Winter.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll wrote:
The Original BJ wrote: The best moments were the two "at last" victories for James Ivory and Roger Deakins.
The In Memoriam section was good. Pleasantly surprised to see that Idrissa Ouedraogo & Seijun Suzuki were deservedly included. I thought the actors they selected to show a short clip from were all well chosen, though I would have added Jean Moreau & Harry Dean Stanton myself.
Both Jeanne Moreau and Harry Dean Stanton were included but yes there were no clips from their movies.

It was also nice to see they included Shashi Kapoor and especially Sridevi who died just a few days ago.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote:
The Original BJ wrote
Why did Emma Stone present Best Director rather than Best Actor?
To not draw attention to Casey Affleck not presenting Best Actress. It’s not like she should be penalized. I thought it was a good call.
Good call certainly but the utter hypocricy of it all is equally jarring. It's like the Academy making a child stand in a corner. Affleck should have been there. He declined to attend probably fearing a lynching.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

OscarGuy wrote:Turn it off then, Reza. Your constant bitching about the push for equality is degrading, demeaning, and disappointing.
Dude it's over kill now.

WE GET THE FRIGGING MESSAGE.

HOLLYWOOD NEEDS TO MOVE ON.

And if it sounds like bitching then too bad. As if pushing for equality by these silly actors is going to move mountains. Your country has failed to do it for over 200 years you think it's going to happen because Hollywood actors stand on a podium dripping in jewels and whine about it? Oscar Guy you would be a fool if you think it doesn't run deeper than that.

That's how I feel. Not about what they are trying to achieve - which is a good thing of course. But it is absolutely absurd how these self righteous hypocritical actors go on and on like a broken record. Enough already!!
Last edited by Reza on Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Agreed. And the fact too that they deserved for their nominated work irrespective of being overdue. Also liked del Toro's acceptance speech for the director award and most of all Jordan Peele's speech who thanked all us who actually lay down money to see films.

I only watched probably about two thirds of the show.

I didn't realise that it started half an hour earlier and had gone out to lunch making it back after Supporting Actor had been presented :oops: . I switched the TV off after del Toro's director win and went to my mother's for an early baked dinner with her.

During the show I kept nipping in and out during some of the musical numbers, montages & completed missed the 'visiting the local cinema'.

I haven't watched this much of an Oscar presentation since 2015 and I really don't think I could sit through the whole thing. It was oddly dull and sombre.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The Original BJ wrote
To not draw attention to Casey Affleck not presenting Best Actress. It’s not like she should be penalized. I thought it was a good call.
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

This evening gave off the feeling of reverting to the mean. After last year's wild debacle, you certainly got the sense everyone involved wanted this year's ceremony to feel normal again -- it couldn't have been coincidence that the category names on the envelope winners were so big you could see them from the audience.

And the winners themselves were about as predictable a collection as we've had in recent years, with most of the tech prizes going to the predicted frontrunners, the four acting winners repeating as they have all season, and Best Picture matching Director (and the PGA/DGA). I think this year was also pretty good evidence for the fact that the much ballyhooed new Academy members do only represent a small group of voters, perhaps enough to affect the races around the edges -- they might well have pushed Jordan Peele over the top in his tight Screenplay race -- but not enough to completely upend a list of traditionalist front-runners, from The Shape of Water in Best Picture to Oldman in Best Actor. (Not making a qualitative comparison between those two -- the latter was a truly uninspired choice, whereas the former was simply a more typical one, given the other options.)

The Shape of Water also breaks the LONG streak of Best Picture winners without Best Actress nominees -- the last was Million Dollar Baby/Swank.

The best moments were the two "at last" victories for James Ivory and Roger Deakins. (Pity it couldn't have been three, with Agnès Varda.)

The instincts I had that I'm most proud of being proven right on were that 1) nope, voters weren't waiting for the third Apes installment to give it Visual Effects, they just kept passing on that franchise for a reason, and Blade Runner would prevail there, and that 2) Faces Places would prove to be too unusual a film for Oscar (though I wish I'd been wrong there, since Icarus was one of my least favorite winners of the night.)

I wish I'd stuck to my guns on predicting "Remember Me." In fact, after the totally flat performance of the Coco number, and the climactic performance of "This Is Me," the show felt like it was building to a Pasek/Paul repeat victory, so the announcement of the Lopezes instead felt like a jolt, even if it was one I knew was a distinct possibility.

My favorite off-hand moment was Greta Gerwig saying "I love him" during del Toro's Director speech. In fact, Gerwig looked like she was just thrilled to cheer for everyone, which made me bummed her movie went home completely empty-handed. I was rooting for McDonagh in Original Screenplay, but thought Peele was a thoroughly worthy winner as well, and I was almost glad his movie won something -- its staunchest supporters would have thrown a fit if it had blanked completely.

I worked with Rachel Shenton, who won the Live Action Short category, a few years back, so I was happy for her. (Though I thought her film was closer to the bottom than the top of that lineup, and was actually surprised to see it triumph).

I enjoyed a lot of the montages -- I always like it when the show remembers the history of the movies -- and thought Kimmel was mostly enjoyable, though the entire movie theater bit was a complete dud for me, and given how far over the show ran, I couldn't fathom why anyone thought that was necessary.

Most irritating trend: referring to Oscar winners by CEREMONY YEAR instead of MOVIE YEAR (On the Waterfront as 1955's Best Picture, West Side Story as 1962's Best Picture). Outside the Dolby Theatre, the Best Picture winners are all listed...by MOVIE YEAR...so I'm not sure why the Academy suddenly decided to go by the obnoxious IMDb method on the show instead. (They also weren't consistent -- McConaughey said Editing was first given in 1934, which WAS the movie year, not the ceremony year.)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Turn it off then, Reza. Your constant bitching about the push for equality is degrading, demeaning, and disappointing.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

This non-stop preaching tonight is getting to be a bit much.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Here's the order:

Best Supporting Actor
Best Makeup and Hairstyling
Best Costume Design
Best Documentary Feature
Best Sound Editing
Best Sound Mixing
Best Production Design