Oscar quiz

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Oscar quiz

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:
If Renee Fleming is the answer, I have no idea what the question is.

Which is to say, the working theory I'd developed for why you and FilmFan think Elf doesn't qualify would not fit with Renee Fleming.
You've almost got it. There is a difference between Fleming and her counterpart in Elf that shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:
I don't know what this means.

And I think it's time for Uri to swoop in and say exactly what he was driving at.
To be more specific, Renée Fleming.

It's 7 hours ahead in Israel. I suspect that Uri is fast asleep.
If Renee Fleming is the answer, I have no idea what the question is.

Which is to say, the working theory I'd developed for why you and FilmFan think Elf doesn't qualify would not fit with Renee Fleming.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Original BJ wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:If I've got it right, yes on My Best Friend's Wedding and White Christmas, no on Moulin Rouge! and Distant Voices, Still Lives and for exactly the same reason (ponder that!)
Huh. I could see a more specific criterion that would include Moulin Rouge and White Christmas, but not the others I listed. (And Elf wouldn't fit using that criterion as well.)
Durmot Mulroney in My Best Friend's Wedding. No one in Moulin Rouge!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:Since my name was brought into this for reasons I don't quite understand...
Something you pointed out to me regarding something in the film that should be revealed when Uri responds. If not, I'll be happy to spell it out.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:

And I think it's time for Uri to swoop in and say exactly what he was driving at.
To be more specific, Renée Fleming.

It's 7 hours ahead in Israel. I suspect that Uri is fast asleep.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Since my name was brought into this for reasons I don't quite understand...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:Planes Trains and Automobiles fits because of honorary Oscars.
But then Shape of Water doesn't fit -- pending my hearing what Magilla's loophole is.
End credits.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:
But then Shape of Water doesn't fit -- pending my hearing what Magilla's loophole is.
End credits.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Big Magilla wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:If I've got it right, Moulin Rouge, My Best Friend's Wedding, Amy, White Christmas, and Distant Voices, Still Lives would qualify.
If I've got it right, yes on My Best Friend's Wedding and White Christmas, no on Moulin Rouge! and Distant Voices, Still Lives and for exactly the same reason (ponder that!)
Huh. I could see a more specific criterion that would include Moulin Rouge and White Christmas, but not the others I listed. (And Elf wouldn't fit using that criterion as well.)
Last edited by The Original BJ on Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Planes Trains and Automobiles fits because of honorary Oscars.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:OK, I've done a ton of Googling, and:

1) BJ, I don't see how most of yours qualify, either for my criteria or what Magilla and FilmFan seem to be thinking. But maybe there are things I don't know that you could explain.

2) Magilla/FilmFan, I think I've figured what you're going for, but, if I'm right about that, either Shape of Water or Trains, Planes and Automobiles wouldn't fit.
The Shape of Water fits for a reason that is not evident on IMDb. as was pointed out to me by Wesley on an issue with an OFTA submission.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Original BJ wrote:If I've got it right, Moulin Rouge, My Best Friend's Wedding, Amy, White Christmas, and Distant Voices, Still Lives would qualify.
If I've got it right, yes on My Best Friend's Wedding and White Christmas, no on Moulin Rouge! and Distant Voices, Still Lives and for exactly the same reason (ponder that!)
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Mister Tee wrote:1) BJ, I don't see how most of yours qualify, either for my criteria or what Magilla and FilmFan seem to be thinking. But maybe there are things I don't know that you could explain.
Then probably there's something more specific in the criteria I'm missing.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

OK, I've done a ton of Googling, and:

1) BJ, I don't see how most of yours qualify, either for my criteria or what Magilla and FilmFan seem to be thinking. But maybe there are things I don't know that you could explain.

2) Magilla/FilmFan, I think I've figured what you're going for, but, if I'm right about that, either Shape of Water or Trains, Planes and Automobiles wouldn't fit.

Return to “90th Nominations and Winners”