It's Trivia Time

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: It's Trivia Time

Post by Big Magilla »

Things have come full circle for Saoirse Ronan and Vanessa Redgrave.

Redgrave, who played the older version of Ronan in her first Oscar-nominated role in Atonement earned her last Oscar nomination to date for current Oscar winner James Ivory's Howards End in which Samuel West has an important role. West plays Ronan's father in the upcoming On Chisel Beach. In her next two films after that, Ronan stars in roles once played by Redgrave in previous film versions of The Seagull and Mary Queen of Scots.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

CalWilliam wrote:Every year Frances McDormand was nominated or won, upsets or shockers occurred.

1988: Kevin Kline, Geena Davis, even Jodie Foster.
1996: Juliette Binoche, Sling Blade.
2000: Steven Soderbergh, Marcia Gay Harden.
2005: Crash

Let’s hope for some more of those on Sunday.
Come through, WIllem!
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

Every year Frances McDormand was nominated or won, upsets or shockers occurred.

1988: Kevin Kline, Geena Davis, even Jodie Foster.
1996: Juliette Binoche, Sling Blade.
2000: Steven Soderbergh, Marcia Gay Harden.
2005: Crash

Let’s hope for some more of those on Sunday.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Are we talking married couples or partners who weren't legally married? Because you can add in people like John & Faith Hubley who were nominated 6 times and won twice. There's also Alan & Marilyn Bergman, nominated together 16 times, winning thrice.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Also, Frances Goodrich and Albert Hackett were nominated together four times.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

And in three categories two of those times, two categories three of those times.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh did it 4 times.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Greg wrote:James Ivory, nominated for Adapted Screenplay for Call Me By Your Name, was not only a work partner, but a romantic partner, with Ismail Merchant. Together, they were co-nominated three times - Ivory for directing and Merchant for producing (Picture) - the same film, for A Room With A View, Howard's End, and The Remains Of The Day. As far as I know, this is the most times a romantic couple has been co-nominated.
Off the top of my head, married couple Ruth Gordon and Garson Kanin come immediately to mind - co-nominated three times for writing the screenplays for A Double Life, Adam's Rib and Pat and Mike.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

James Ivory, nominated for Adapted Screenplay for Call Me By Your Name, was not only a work partner, but a romantic partner, with Ismail Merchant. Together, they were co-nominated three times - Ivory for directing and Merchant for producing (Picture) - the same film, for A Room With A View, Howard's End, and The Remains Of The Day. As far as I know, this is the most times a romantic couple has been co-nominated.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

This only occurred to me today and I did a check back to 1980 but I'd be surprised if it has ever happened before, but all five nominated directors wrote or co-wrote the screenplays for their respective films.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I see, nomination day, not Oscar day.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Warren Beatty was born March 30, 1937. The 1991 Academy Awards nominations were announced on February 19, 1992. He as not nominated on his birthday. If he had won, he would have won on his birthday, but that wasn't the fact or the question.

Marsha Mason was born April 3, 1942. Her nomination was announced on February 21, 1978. And the awards that year were March 29, 1978. So, neither would technically be true.

Yes, Elizabeth Taylor won for BUtterfield 8, however we are talking about nominees nominated on their birthdays. Hers was February 27, 1932. Her nomination was announced on February 27, 1961 while her win was on April 17, 1961. Thus, she wasn't a birthday winner, just a birthday nominee.

I went to a lot of care and detail to accumulate these facts. It took quite some time and some effort (and per my article) having to re-do some data due to spreadsheet formulae issues.
Wesley Lovell
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

OscarGuy wrote:I don't know about other categories, but in terms of actors, three were nominated on their birthdays: Liz Taylor for BUtterfield 8, Judith Anderson for Rebecca, and Jackie Gleason for The Hustler.

For the winners, Jennifer Jones won for The Song of Bernadette on her 25th birthday and four others were the day after, 2 the day before.

You can find that data here: http://www.cinemasight.com/oscar-statis ... he-oscars/
Wes, You will need to update some of the details on your stats page because Taylor won for Butterfield 8 (I know it's hard to believe that she actually won) and to include Warren Beatty (Bugsy) & Marsha Mason (The Goodbye Girl) as nominated on their birthdays as well.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

So was Marsha Mason in 1978.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

OscarGuy wrote:I don't know about other categories, but in terms of actors, three were nominated on their birthdays: Liz Taylor for BUtterfield 8, Judith Anderson for Rebecca, and Jackie Gleason for The Hustler.

For the winners, Jennifer Jones won for The Song of Bernadette on her 25th birthday and four others were the day after, 2 the day before.

You can find that data here: http://www.cinemasight.com/oscar-statis ... he-oscars/
Warren Beatty was also nominated on his birthday in 1992

Return to “90th Nominations and Winners”