89th Oscars: In Memoriam

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: 89th Oscars: In Memoriam

Post by Mister Tee »

I've added last-on-the-in-memoriam-list as a tie-breaker in my Oscar party pool, and, since I can't expect my friends to be quite as up-to-speed on exactly who died last year, I gave them a list from which to work. People I included on our list who didn't make the roll:

Richard Davalos
Garry Shandling
Anne Jackson
Madeleine Sherwood
Peter Shaffer (particularly notable omittee, since he's an Oscar winner)
David Huddleston (on the basis of The Big Lebowski)
Steven Hill
Jon Polito
Robert Vaughn
Alec McCowen
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Yes, Reynolds should have gotten a clip of her singing and dancing from Singing in the Rain played.
Precious Doll wrote:
anonymous1980 wrote:But that one film of note got her an Oscar nomination. And I think Flirting with Disaster qualifies as a film of note as well.
Yes. But seriously it was really odd that the scene from Ordinary People seemed to go on and on and poor Debbie Reynolds, who starred in one of the most iconic films of all time, just had her photo shown. Still they can't please all of the people all of the time. And let's face it if you had 50 different takes on In Memoriam you would have 50 different versions.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

nightwingnova wrote:Vaughn was a TV actor with not much of a mark in movies.
Still, he was nominated for an Oscar as best supporting actor for The Young Philadelphians (1959).
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Producer Jan Chapman's image was used instead of Janet Patterson's is what I read.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I forgot both the name and the source, but I just read that the segment featured a live person - a friend of Janet Patterson, the reclusive Australian costume designer who died last year, instead of Patterson herself.
Eenusch
Graduate

Post by Eenusch »

Someone on Twitter wrote that next year's In Memoriam will feature the guys from Price Waterhouse.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

anonymous1980 wrote:But that one film of note got her an Oscar nomination. And I think Flirting with Disaster qualifies as a film of note as well.
Yes. But seriously it was really odd that the scene from Ordinary People seemed to go on and on and poor Debbie Reynolds, who starred in one of the most iconic films of all time, just had her photo shown. Still they can't please all of the people all of the time. And let's face it if you had 50 different takes on In Memoriam you would have 50 different versions.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

But that one film of note got her an Oscar nomination. And I think Flirting with Disaster qualifies as a film of note as well.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

nightwingnova wrote:Vaughn was a TV actor with not much of a mark in movies. I'm not sure Arquette's movie footprint warrants mention either.

Precious Doll wrote:
anonymous1980 wrote:Anyone major they missed? I'm impressed they got Abbas Kiarostami and Raoul Coutard in.
Only Robert Vaughn & Alexis Arquette (you don't get anymore diverse the Alexis) absence is somewhat surprising.
Robert Vaughn worked between cinema and TV with some roles in popular memorable films even if they were a lifetime ago .He was certainly way more prolific than Mary Tyler Moore (a giant of the small screen) who really only has one film of note. I checked out the In Memoriam segment on YouTube and was surprised to see that Mary Tyler Moore had more 'screen time' than anyone else.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Vaughn was a TV actor with not much of a mark in movies. I'm not sure Arquette's movie footprint warrants mention either.

Precious Doll wrote:
anonymous1980 wrote:Anyone major they missed? I'm impressed they got Abbas Kiarostami and Raoul Coutard in.
Only Robert Vaughn & Alexis Arquette (you don't get anymore diverse the Alexis) absence is somewhat surprising.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The envelope wasn't the only screw up at this year's Oscars.

The picture they showed during the In Memoriam segment acknowledging costume designer Janet Patterson was actually that of Jan Chapman who's still alive.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Anyone major they missed? I'm impressed they got Abbas Kiarostami and Raoul Coutard in.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

89th Oscars: In Memoriam

Post by OscarGuy »

Arthur Hiller
Ken Adam
Tracy Scott
Bill Nunn
Alice Arlen
George Kennedy
Gene Wilder
Donald P Harris
Paul Sylbert
Michael Cimino
Andrzej Wajda
Patty Duke
Garry Marshall
Wilma Baker
Emmanuelle Riva
Janet Patterson
Anton Yelchin
Mary Tyler Moore
Prince
Kenny Baker
John Hurt
Jim Clark
Norma Moriceau
Fern Buchner
Kit West
Lupita Tovar
Manlio Rocchetti
Pat Conroy
Nancy Davis Reagan
Abbas Kiarostami
William Peter Blatty
Ken Howard
Tyrus Wong
Hector Babenco
Curtis Hanson
Marni Nixon
George "Ray" West
Raoul Coutard
Zsa Zsa Gabor
Antony Gibbs
Om Puri
Andrea Jaffe
Richard Portman
Debbie Reynolds
Carrie Fisher
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “89th Nominations and Winners”