Categories One-by-One: Adapted Screenplay

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: Categories One-by-One: Adapted Screenplay

Post by Mister Tee »

It would have been Arrival, but once Moonlight was carpetbagged in, the race was over. The WGA clinched it.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Categories One-by-One: Adapted Screenplay

Post by Big Magilla »

I agree, it's Moonlight's to lose. If there's an upset, I think it's more likely to come from Hidden Figures due to its burst of popularity before the voting started, although my pick would be Arrival, which is a masterpiece of writing considering it was expanded from a short story without adding unnecessary plot points.

Despite its surprise win at BAFTA, I don't think Lion has much of a chance here. It's more likely to repeat its win there in Supporting Actor than in Adapted Screenplay.

I can't see Fences winning at all. It's not much of an adaptation from a playwright who died 12 years ago. The nomination will likely be considered honor enough.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Categories One-by-One: Adapted Screenplay

Post by anonymous1980 »

The nominees:

Arrival
Fences
Hidden Figures
Lion
Moonlight

Moonlight just won the ORIGINAL Screenplay prize at the WGA which should makes this a slam dunk. But oddly enough the other four have a legitimate claim to the prize as well: Arrival just won in this category at the WGA so it could be running second BUT Lion won this in BAFTA and it wasn't eligible here. The film is starting to pick up steam now so winning here wouldn't also be an impossibility. Hidden Figures is a huge hit and is the highest grossing Best Picture nominee. Lots of people love it and its fans will vote for it here. Fences is written by a highly respected playwright and it could win votes for respectability. But right now, I think it's Moonlight's to lose.

Return to “89th Nominations and Winners”