Trivia

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Re: Trivia

Post by FilmFan720 »

It has now been 12 years since we had a Best Picture winner with a Best Actress nomination. Ironically, the last 4 Best Picture winners, and 6 of the last 7, have had a Supporting Actress nomination.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

La La Land joins a very selected group of films which were the most awarded of their respective nights but didn't manage to win Best Picture:

Sunrise, Seventh Heaven, Bad Girl, The Champ, The Informer, Anthony Adverse, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Thief of Bagdad, The Song of Bernadette, The Heiress, The Bad and the Beautiful, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Cabaret, Network, All the President's Men, Star Wars, The Aviator, Life of Pi, Gravity and Mad Max: Fury Road.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

In acting, yes, but overall no.

Off the top of my head, the Epstein brothers for the screenplay for Casablanca
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

I read from somewhere that Casey brothers have become the first male sibling pairs who won Oscars. Can anybody verify this?

We know there is at least one female sibling pair who achieved the same feat - Joan Fontaine and Olivia de Havilland.
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

For the fifth year in a row, the film that won Best Cinematography also took Best Directing (Life of Pi, Gravity, Birdman, The Revenant and La La Land). The same achievement happened before in the 90s with Braveheart, The English Patient, Titanic, Saving Private Ryan and American Beauty winning both Oscars.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I don't think it's been pointed out here yet but with Moonlight's win for Best Picture, Dede Gardner has become the first woman with two Oscars for Best Picture.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Precious Doll wrote:Patricia Arquette speaks out in relation to Alexis omission:

http://people.com/awards/oscars-2017-pa ... -omission/
I meant to post this in the In Memoriam thread but I suppose the trivia thread is OK. It's the first time an Academy member has complained about the omission of a transgender person.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

This may be no big deal on this board but it is quite a big thing in Singapore media - Singaporean Ai-Ling Lee who leads LA LA LAND's sound team is nominated for both Sound Editing and Sound Mixing. If I am not wrong, she is the first Singaporean Academy Award nominee ... well, she failed to become the first Singaporean to win an Oscar despite being a favorite (at least for Sound Mixing).

Anyway, as I've read from Ai-Ling's Wikipedia page, there is still a noteworthy trivia: "Together with Mildred Iatrou Morgan, their nomination became the first female team to be nominated in the category (referring to Sound Editing)."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Alexis Arquette being snubbed is no less mysterious than Joan Rivers. Sure, Alexis had more than 50 film credits, but other than being the transgender Arquette, did anyone actually consider her much of an actress? I mean, her early career was in prominent films, but the last major Hollywood effort she appeared in was The Wedding Singer in 1998, more than 20 films ago. Yes, she's an Arquette, but when she's a low-rent member who makes David Arquette seem like a Barrymore, I wouldn't consider her omission anything, but understandable, even if not the classiest move. It sure as hell wasn't a slight against the trans community.

But like Will Smith's egotistical wife making a bull shit big deal about the OscarsSoWhite debacle last year, this will get far more press than it deserves. And while I will freely admit that the Academy's diversity push utterly ignored the LGBT community, they did honor Moonlight, which has to account for something. And I sure as hell hope this doesn't end up as one of those lame backlashes for utterly idiotic reasons.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Patricia Arquette speaks out in relation to Alexis omission:

http://people.com/awards/oscars-2017-pa ... -omission/
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

This may be more of a Chicago thing, but Tarell Alvin McCraney became the first Steppenwolf Ensemble Member to win an Oscar...impressive and sad when you look at the other names on that list!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

inky wrote:This year, LLL becomes the first movie which won both Best Director and Best Actress but missed Best Picture.
No, Cabaret also did that.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

The second year in a row where Best Picture won no below-the-line awards.
- Minor Myers, Jr.
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

Last year, THE REVENANT became the third movie in the Oscar history which bagged both Best Director and Best Actor but missed Best Picture.

This year, LLL becomes the first movie which won both Best Director and Best Actress but missed Best Picture. Still, the combinations of director+actress+picture are rarer than the actor version: only 8 in the past (MILLION DOLLAR BABY; THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS; TERMS OF ENDEARMENT; ANNIE HALL; ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST; MRS. MINIVER; GONE WITH THE WIND; IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT - did I miss any film?).

The 1st Academy Awards shouldn't be counted since the award category structure was somewhat different from nowadays. In that year, Janet Gaynor won Best Actress for her performances in 3 films: 7TH HEAVEN, STREET ANGEL and SUNRISE. Among the three films, 7TH HEAVEN also bagged Best Director, Drama Picture (there was another category known as Best Director, Comedy Picture) but didn't win Best Picture (though nominated).
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Mister Tee wrote:For the record, many thought we'd get this in 2011, but Streep's Margaret Thatcher overtook Davis' Aibileen at the last moment. This year seems far more likely to pull off the result, but, Magilla is right, hold off till it happens.

The strange thing is, prior to 1997, it happened fairly often -- by my reckoning, 8 times between 1983 and 1993. So, this swooning over biopics is a relatively recent phenomenon.
We also seemed relatively close in 2014, with Redmayne pipping Keaton to stop it from occurring.

Return to “89th Nominations and Winners”