89th Oscar Nominations

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: 89th Oscar Nominations

Post by Big Magilla »

Amy Adams is probably very happy not to have to go to yet another awards show where she has to smile nicely while losing to someone else. Maybe when she is nominated for the sixth time, and she will be, she will be the one getting the award while her fellow nominees will be the ones who have to sit there and smile nicely.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Precious Doll wrote:
Bog wrote:Peter O'Toole, Geraldine Page, Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Marlon Brando, Paul Newman, Spencer Tracy, Laurence Olivier, Bette Davis, Kate, Jack, and Meryl. Upon Amy Adams next Oscar nomination, these are the only actors who will have more nominations than her in history.
Should Amy Adams ever get nominated for an Oscar in the acting category again it will be her 6th nomination which would also place her behind Cate Blanchett, Jeff Bridges, Judi Dench, Robert Duvall, Jane, Fonda, Dustin Hoffman & Denzel Washington (I'm probably missing someone) all who have 7 acting nominations.
Ingrid Bergman, Robert De Niro, Greer Garson, Kate Winslet, and Richard Burton all have 7 as well.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Bog wrote:Peter O'Toole, Geraldine Page, Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Marlon Brando, Paul Newman, Spencer Tracy, Laurence Olivier, Bette Davis, Kate, Jack, and Meryl. Upon Amy Adams next Oscar nomination, these are the only actors who will have more nominations than her in history.
Should Amy Adams ever get nominated for an Oscar in the acting category again it will be her 6th nomination which would also place her behind Cate Blanchett, Jeff Bridges, Judi Dench, Robert Duvall, Jane, Fonda, Dustin Hoffman & Denzel Washington (I'm probably missing someone) all who have 7 acting nominations.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Reza wrote
Sabin wrote
Is Best Actress still competitive? This one we can't really know until SAG and the BAFTAs but Emma Stone still has a strong trajectory to a win for me. Not just in thanking SAG (we can just give her that award right now, right?), but a recent, previous Oscar nominee headlining and the emotional center of a Best Picture juggernaut playing an struggling actor but doing something unique (singing & dancing when she's not a singer or dancer). And unlike Natalie Portman, she has worked consistently in the industry for the past ten years, which means she likely has a lot of people rooting for her.
What, no Huppert?
Huppert wasn't nominated for a SAG award. Maybe somebody could tell me if SAG voters got screeners for Elle, but the only performer to win an Oscar without a SAG nomination in fifteen years is Christoph Waltz because SAG voters weren't sent Django screeners until after the nominations were out. Sure, she has a chance. She'll have won every critic's award, a Golden Globe, and likely a BAFTA. But I don't think they're as good as Emma Stone's.
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Mister Tee wrote:And, though there are other circumstances involved, this year we have the case of a movie getting 8 nominations -- including all key ones -- yet its central performer is left off...and a well-reviewed biopic with sensational reviews for its lead fails to score in all but two other minor categories. It's hard not to consider that, if these films were fronted by actors rather than actresses, the situations would have turned out differently. While we're celebrating the victory over #Oscarssowhite, maybe we need to look at #Oscarsssomale.
What's also amazing is that, even in a year when female-driven movies performed stronger than in some years (with La La Land, Arrival, and Hidden Figures all making the Best Picture list), the disparity between the kinds of movies that get Best Actor nominations and the kind get Best Actress ones still exists.

FOUR of the Best Actor nominees came from Best Picture candidates. Only ONE of the Best Actress nominees did.

ONE of the Best Actor nominees was a sole nominee from his movie. TWO of the Best Actress nominees are sole nominees, and the other two movies got three token below-the-line nods between them.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote:Is Best Actress still competitive? This one we can't really know until SAG and the BAFTAs but Emma Stone still has a strong trajectory to a win for me. Not just in thanking SAG (we can just give her that award right now, right?), but a recent, previous Oscar nominee headlining and the emotional center of a Best Picture juggernaut playing an struggling actor but doing something unique (singing & dancing when she's not a singer or dancer). And unlike Natalie Portman, she has worked consistently in the industry for the past ten years, which means she likely has a lot of people rooting for her.
What, no Huppert?
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

danfrank wrote:With its directing and editing nods, does this mean Hacksaw Ridge would have made it in a slate of five? Who are the supporters of this movie?
This seems to be this board's consensus, but I think such sentiment ignores the fact that not only was it a box-office success ($152.6 million, against a production budget of $40 million)... it also garnered an 87% rating on Rotten Tomatoes (with an average of 7.2 out of 10) and a 71 out of 100 on Metacritic, indicating "generally favorable reviews."

To suggest that somehow the film is unworthy of consideration (likely based on personal feelings toward Gibson) is unfair. Mel Gibson has shown himself to be a strong director in the past. He isn't a perfect person and I don't fault anyone for having objections to his past behavior, but "Hacksaw Ridge" was the kind of success that traditionally generates Academy interest. Why is anyone surprised that the Academy nominated the film in top categories?
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Amy Adams' snub is actually a little more puzzling when you realize just how rare it is for a female-fronted film to get a best picture nomination and NOT be nominated for best actress. We've seen cases where really strong performance candidates actually drag their film it's so odd (Cate Blanchett and Elizabeth, Kate Winslet and The Reader, Sandra Bullock and The Blind Side). This century, only Charlize Theron in Mad Max and Kiera Knightley in Atonement really missed out. I think it has to do with how cerebral her role actually is moreso, though.

Not gonna lie, with someone like Streep (who I preferred over Negga by a country mile anyway) or something like La La Land, the record becomes exciting by virtue of it just being. It's kinda fun. But I also just gave La La Land a second watch and basically everything I loved about it became even better and the flaws kinda melted away.

I'm still rather shocked that both Desplat and Williams missed out on composing nominations to FOUR newcomers. I didn't even like Mica Levy's score and I'm enthused about it's inclusion.

I'm not willing to pretend the #Oscarsowhite story had no impact - I don't think it's completely foreign to think that Paramount or Fox rushed Fences/Hidden Figures into release (the latter in particular) to capitalize on it.

I love that Huppert coasted to a nomination.

I'm pretty sure that Enchanted was the movie set up that rule.

I love Andrew Garfield and am glad he got a nomination he should've earned between 2008 and 2010, but I do not want to see Hacksaw Ridge. Oh well, I will.

I thought the costume work in Jackie was so distinct, Tee. It might just be my ignorance, but I also think that Jackie calls attention to the design elements (the use of the White House tour as framing device, for example)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Original BJ wrote: This is nothing but anecdotal evidence, but I'm genuinely surprised by how many people in my circles (i.e. Hollywood) DESPISE Manchester by the Sea. And I don't mean, they think it's simply overpraised, but they think it is a colossal snooze where absolutely nothing of interest happens. Obviously, this doesn't seem to be a response shared by awards bodies in toto -- Manchester seems to be running, at worst, third in the Best Picture derby. But I am starting to wonder if what many of us thought would be a likely Manchester writing prize might get tripped up, as occurred at the Globes, by simply stronger enthusiasm for La La.
This is a reminder to me that I live in NY and will never regret it. The scenario you note, though, does evoke another case of the big sweeper taking a screenplay prize from a more obviously "written" film -- Return of the King vs. Mystic River, the latter somehow not truly embraced despite great box office success, glamour nominations and two acting winners.

I suddenly realized late in the day that I have no chance of being an Oscar completist this year, because threats of eternal damnation couldn't get me to watch that Michael Bay Benghazi movie. I guess Hollywood isn't ALL Democrats. filmfan noted elsewhere that Bay's movies have accumulated 17 nominations with not a single one above the line. I haven't taken the time to look it up, but I'd have to guess at least 12-13 of them are in the two sound categories.

Something else that got in my craw late: somehow, there were enough votes to nominate mediocrities like Hidden Figures, Hacksaw Ridge and Fences and bring the best picture slate to 9 -- but last year they couldn't scrape up enough votes to get the best-reviewed film of the year (Carol) on the list, so they stopped at 8.

And, though there are other circumstances involved, this year we have the case of a movie getting 8 nominations -- including all key ones -- yet its central performer is left off...and a well-reviewed biopic with sensational reviews for its lead fails to score in all but two other minor categories. It's hard not to consider that, if these films were fronted by actors rather than actresses, the situations would have turned out differently. While we're celebrating the victory over #Oscarssowhite, maybe we need to look at #Oscarsssomale.

(Just to somewhat undercut that whole paragraph, I'll side with BJ, that Amy Adams' omission was largely a case of 7-into-5-won't-go. But I can't help thinking this was involved as well.)

By the way, I realized that when I wrote earlier, I failed to include Isabelle Huppert among things that made me happy. This is only because I had begun to take her nomination for granted. I'm delighted to see such an undervalued-by-AMPAS actress get recognized for such an impressive role.

As regards Jungle Book, BJ: this may partly be the perspective of somebody raised in an era when Cleopatra and Thunderball were visual effects winners...but, for me, I need some semblance of the physical world for the effects to register as magical/special. Watching DiCaprio/Page walk down a seemingly normal street and having it tilt on its axis is wow-worthy. Watching Mowgli interact with green-screen for two hours doesn't have the same impact. (To be honest, if you hadn't reminded me Mowgli was real, I might have half-remembered him as CGI, as well.)

My feeling about La La Land is, its baseline set of wins is probably about 8: film, director, song, score, cinematography, production design, sound mixing, editing. I think actor and sound editing are very unlikely, unless voters are on auto-pilot by that part of the ballot. Actress, screenplay and costumes are the ones that might or might not propel it into the upper reaches of the record books.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Just thought of something. Why didn't La La Land break the all-time record? Dreamgirls.

Ten years ago, Dreamgirls inspired a rule that no film could have more than two songs in competition. Then again, the third song the filmmakers submitted was "Start a Fire" so maybe it wouldn't have. I'm sure it was a move of generosity to the contributions of John Legend, but "Another Day of Sun" just feels like the kind of thing that gets performed at the Oscars.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

danfrank wrote:With is directing and editing nods, does this mean Hacksaw Ridge would have made it in a slate of five?
I think so. My guess is, this would have been a five-for-five year, with no so-called "Lone Director" slot. Due to the lack of an Amy Adams nom, you could make the argument that Arrival would have missed Best Picture. But "Lone Director" films didn't usually receive as many nominations as Arrival did.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Bog wrote:I do not know if this comes up as a talking point when tossing around potentials...maybe I am being extremely reactionary thinking voters don't want an actress like Adams in such a "club", maybe I'm being naive not being certain they take such stats into account? Clearly they love throwing Meryl noms willy nilly and Ruth Negga ensures every one of the five major categories immediately rebuff #Oscarssowhite...which clearly IS a discussion considering the racism charge just 1 year ago.
Honestly, I don't think it's that calculated. I think Best Actress was simply a logjam this year, and Adams (and Bening) were two fully qualified candidates who lost out on nominations to actresses who had also been a part of the conversation for months. (I mean, Huppert and Negga had been hotly buzzed since Cannes, and even though many of us thought Streep's vehicle was lightweight, she was pegged as a possibility as soon as her movie opened.)
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Peter O'Toole, Geraldine Page, Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Marlon Brando, Paul Newman, Spencer Tracy, Laurence Olivier, Bette Davis, Kate, Jack, and Meryl. Upon Amy Adams next Oscar nomination, these are the only actors who will have more nominations than her in history.

I do not know if this comes up as a talking point when tossing around potentials...maybe I am being extremely reactionary thinking voters don't want an actress like Adams in such a "club", maybe I'm being naive not being certain they take such stats into account? Clearly they love throwing Meryl noms willy nilly and Ruth Negga ensures every one of the five major categories immediately rebuff #Oscarssowhite...which clearly IS a discussion considering the racism charge just 1 year ago.

Sadly I am with others here who consider Amy Adams to really have been deserving specifically this year as well as doubly shocked due to the awards season success thus far. She has a Globe, SAG, and BFCA Oscar whore nom, as well a win at NBR who actually has gone into the prediction business and has 2 in a row winners, let alone nominee. Then this morning with Arrival solidifying itself as a winner in a 5 nom scenario...but not bringing along its frontrunning actress...hmmm precedent?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I believe Kubo's Oscar nomination in Visual Effects was for its water sequence. There's a big scene where the characters had to be traveling the ocean and going underwater. I heard that's what impressed the Branch. How they got to pull that off in a stop-motion animated feature.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

The Original BJ wrote:Sabin is right that the question now will be, how far does La La Land's sweep extend? Is it the default winner everywhere (save Best Actor, which seems an obvious miss)? Or do voters at least spread the wealth a bit?
It is also going to be tough because there are a lot of precursors where it's win or loss could be attributed to other things. There are guilds where it can get easy wins against less prestigious competition because it is a Comedy (ACE) or Contemporary (Costumes, Art Directors). There is also WGA, where it not only goes against Manchester but also Moonlight, which is probably a clear favorite in a category it isn't in come Oscar time. We could enter the awards still as confused by how big a streak La La Land is really going to go on.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “89th Nominations and Winners”