The 2016 Peter Travers Top 10 List Contest!

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: The 2016 Peter Travers Top 10 List Contest!

Post by Big Magilla »

anonymous1980 wrote:RESULTS!!!

anonymous1980 = 6 points
FilmFan720 = 6 points

and the winners with a tie for 8 points (tied even with the tie-breaker protocol) are:

Sabin & Big Magilla!

Sabin would've actually won with 9 points if he hadn't guessed the documentary tie. I had to deduct one point for that. Sorry.

Take a bow. I'm gonna have to post this at the beginning of NOVEMBER!
I would've won outright if I hadn't replaced Jackie with Hacksaw Ridge at the last minute, but I'm happy to share the spoils with Sabin.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

RESULTS!!!

anonymous1980 = 6 points
FilmFan720 = 6 points

and the winners with a tie for 8 points (tied even with the tie-breaker protocol) are:

Sabin & Big Magilla!

Sabin would've actually won with 9 points if he hadn't guessed the documentary tie. I had to deduct one point for that. Sorry.

Take a bow. I'm gonna have to post this at the beginning of NOVEMBER!
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Mister Tee wrote:Well, I could "win" this contest easily, because apparently you guys don't know Travers' list was published online last night.

A link, for those inclined: http://www.mrruimy.com/2016/12/peter-tr ... 6.html?m=1

Damn. I should post this contest earlier. I'll count the points later today!

Sabin's also right. Don't overthink it. My advice is to simply post your Best Picture Oscar predictions plus one or two "cool" critics favorites...and avoid foreign language films and documentaries whenever you can.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I guess it wasn't that early, after all! :o
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Well, I could "win" this contest easily, because apparently you guys don't know Travers' list was published online last night.

A link, for those inclined: http://www.mrruimy.com/2016/12/peter-tr ... 6.html?m=1
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

A bit early, but...

1. Moonlight
2. Manchester by the Sea
3. Silence
4. La La Land
5. Arrival
6. Hacksaw Ridge
7. Loving
8. Lion
9. Hell or High Water
10. Fences
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Always better to underthink than overthink this one.

1. Moonlight
2. Manchester by the Sea
3. La La Land
4. Silence
5. Hell or High Water
6. Fences
7. Hacksaw Ridge
8. Loving
9. Arrival
10. The 13th & OJ: Made in America
"How's the despair?"
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

1. Moonlight
2. Silence
3. 13th
4. La La Land
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. Arrival
7. The Lobster
8. The Birth of a Nation
9. Hacksaw Ridge
10. Fences
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

My entry:

01. "Moonlight"
02. "La La Land"
03. "Manchester by the Sea"
04. "Arrival"
05. "Fences"
06. "Kubo and the Two Strings"
07. "Lion"
08. "Hell or High Water"
09. "Silence"
10. "Hacksaw Ridge"
anonymous1980
Laureate

The 2016 Peter Travers Top 10 List Contest!

Post by anonymous1980 »

Continuing the tradition started by Sonic Youth, in his own words:

"The Peter Travers contest, which I started here I think 10 years ago, is really a statement disguised as a contest. The statement is, Peter Travers of Rolling Stone magazine is the most unoriginal, unidiosyncratic, yet highly dependable film critic around, both in his writing style - it's not for nothing that he's "the most blurbed film critic", according to Wiki - and in his taste in films. He slightly defies convention by positioning his tastes moderately left-of-center, very much like a white, college-age male just discovering "cool" movies would. That's not a bad starting point, but Travers has never opened his tastes up from there. And what better way to expose his predictibility than to build a contest around it?"

a). One (1) point is awarded for correctly guessing which films will be on his top ten list.

b). One (1) additional point is awarded for accurately guessing precisely where on the list a film will end up. (Total: two (2) points.)

c). One (1) more additional point is awarded for accurately guessing the number one film of the year. (Total: three (3) points)

d). Three (3) bonus points for accurately predicting which movies will result in a tie, if any. Remember, there may or may not be a tie this year. Travers is one of those critics that likes to put ties in his lists, so you may want to take that under consideration. That said, not every yearly list has ties, so predict at your own risk. (Accurately predicting that there will be no tie gets you zero (0) points. Nice try, but no.)

e). One (1) point is docked for every inaccurately predicted tie. This is to discourage contestants from predicting too many ties.

f). The poll is officially closed when his list is released, and it's authenticity has been verified to my satisfaction.

g). Anyone caught revising his or her list after Travers releases his list will be disqualified.

h). In the event of a first place tie, the completely arbitrary solution is: whoever has guessed more higher-ranking movies on the list wins. If there is still a tie, then the winners will agree to share the honor with grace and humility.

i). Sonic Youth and anonymous1980 are not prohibited from winning their own contest. (This rule has never been applied, but probably will be this year!)

Return to “2016”