DGA award

For the films of 2015
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Re: DGA award

Post by The Original BJ »

I was halfway rooting for Miller or Scott to throw a total wrench into things...

...but PGA, DGA, and SAG going to three different films is, of course, about as all-over-the-place as a race can get.

For statistics' sake, the other times that has happened the DGA winner has prevailed with the Best Picture Oscar twice (A Beautiful Mind, Million Dollar Baby) and the PGA winner twice (Gladiator, 12 Years a Slave). (Though, of course, the latter won its PGA on a tie, so that was an extra wrinkle.)

If Spotlight were to win Best Picture, it would be the first time the SAG winner pulled through in this type of scenario. (Yet the combo of SAG & WGA -- which I'm assuming Spotlight will take easily -- propelled both Shakespeare in Love and Crash to the podium over the PGA/DGA winner in their years.)

Somehow Alejandro G. Iñárritu still seems vulnerable to potential upset in the Director race -- is it just the fact that he won last year? or the fact that Best Picture is such a cluster? -- and yet, the precedent for directors winning BOTH the Globe and DGA but losing the Oscar is exceedingly low: Robert Rossen, Francis Ford Coppola, Ang Lee, and Ben Affleck are the only examples, and even the latter most surely would have prevailed had he been an option.

If G. Iñárritu does win Best Director and/or Picture again, it's going to make me regret even more that Richard Linklater couldn't have picked up at least one of his trophies from last year.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I woke up just in time for this. No Miller, no McKay, I'm OK.

Onto the Oscars where Inarritu becomes the third back-to-back winner after John Ford and Joe Mankiewicz at their peak? So much for Oscars so white.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Your nightmare comes true, Sonic: it's Innaritu back to back.

Which means best picture remains anybody's guess.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

DGA award

Post by Sonic Youth »

Relax, it hasn't happened yet. I'm starting the thread to say for the record that I will be shocked - again - if Adam McKay wins tonight, no matter how many indicators there may be that the prize is his. However, because I'm naturally pessimistic, I'm predicting it will go to Inarritu. Which means he will win the Academy Award for Best Directing and Spotlight will win Best Film. And the surge for The Big Short will have been a great big bluff. Oh, well....

I can't keep awake. Good night, my friends,
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “88th Predictions and Precursors”