SAG Nominations

For the films of 2015
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: SAG Nominations

Post by Mister Tee »

Yeah, I'd say it's unfair to lump Tremblay with those other child actors. His performance was hugely admired, and in fact rates a spot in lead.

Great reaction from Nate Rogers: he came in wondering what would be the random St. vincent nomination, and never imagined the answer would be "All of them."

Something that'll get attention sooner or later: with all the female-centered films in contention, not one of them could crack the Ensemble category. In fact, there are only two truly prominent female roles in the five films cited (McAdams & Mirren). The fact that two of the films are black-dominant somewhat conceals this embarrassing fact. But it should be noted that SAG is one of the most gender-balanced parts of Hollywood; if the woman-centered films couldn't score here, their chances at AMPAS might not be as strong as thought.
Last edited by Mister Tee on Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Who would've thought that the big dogs in the race would be directed by Adam McKay and Jay Roach?
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

anonymous1980 wrote:
Sabin wrote:Well, I guess I can't even roll my eyes at anonymous touting whatever child actor of the year as a predicted nominee ever again.
SAG's like to nominate child actors: Jamie Bell, Freddie Highmore, Sarah Bolger, etc. were all nominated.
None of those had a companion lead performance that is expected to compete in their category though, like Tremblay does. I think Brie Larson trending high in Best Actress could help this translate into an Oscar nomination.

And his performance deserves accolades all on its own.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Sabin wrote:Well, I guess I can't even roll my eyes at anonymous touting whatever child actor of the year as a predicted nominee ever again.
SAG's like to nominate child actors: Jamie Bell, Freddie Highmore, Sarah Bolger, etc. were all nominated.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Well, I guess I can't even roll my eyes at anonymous touting whatever child actor of the year as a predicted nominee ever again.
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

My reaction as these nominees were read out basically amounted to: WHAT IS HAPPENING? Given that most of my strong rooting interests (Fassbender/Winslet, Blanchett/Mara, Larson) all made the cut, I was able to watch the nominations mostly entertained by all the curve balls, pleased to have what seems like the biggest shake-up to awards season to date.

It's interesting how, given how up-in-the-air Supporting Actress seemed, that ended up being the LEAST surprising category. I actually went to bed thinking, you know, I bet they'll be completely unimaginative and go for Helen Mirren/Trumbo. And Rachel McAdams -- as the Basinger/L.A. Confidential woman in a male-dominated ensemble -- struck me as a mostly default choice.

What I couldn't have imagined was that none of the Spotlight men would have made it in Supporting Actor, by far the most startling category. (I went 1/5 in my predictions.) I'm thrilled for Idris Elba -- who I think is tremendous in Beasts of No Nation -- and though I haven't seen his film, I'm excited for an actor like Michael Shannon to receive attention for such an under-the-radar effort. Obviously, Shannon has to be taken WAY more seriously for Oscar contention at this point. And Bale and Tremblay are both significantly more worthy nominees in my book than Sylvester Stallone, whose omission was a pleasing splash of cold water on the idea that he's the frontrunner to win this Oscar.

Actress seems to have injected more contenders than we thought into an already crowded field. Helen Mirren seems like a classic fluky SAG nomination that won't be repeated at the Oscars, and honestly I had never even heard of Silverman's film before, so I have no idea what to think of that nomination. Jennifer Lawrence strikes me as a the big loser here -- for such a big star in such a hyped vehicle to miss out seems to foreshadow doom up ahead, whereas Rampling/Tomlin seem more like choices the Academy could resurrect.

Are you ready to reconsider that argument that Matt Damon is the only certain Best Actor nominee, Mister Tee? I found his omission here pretty shocking, and given how well Trumbo did overall, I think we have to start reconsidering Cranston as a viable candidate.

I also went 1/5 in my Ensemble predictions, and wouldn't have considered three of the actual nominees (Beasts, Trumbo, and Straight Outta Compton) at all. I don't expect this to be a year with heavy cross-over to Oscar's Best Picture list, but I think the touted actors in Beasts and Trumbo all have to be taken more seriously than we have been, and The Big Short might perhaps be a stronger late-breaking candidate overall. (I still don't think Straight Outta Compton is getting Oscar nominations, which I'm sure will lead to some inevitable articles about the Academy's racism, never mind the fact that the movie is just not very good.)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The most dispiriting part of many Oscar seasons has been the announcement of the three TV pre-award nominations, SAG/Globes/BFCA; even in years where competition is robust, these three groups always seem to narrow things down to a limited template. But these truly out-there results tell me there ain't going to be no template this year. I can't recall a SAG lineup this unexpected since maybe 2001.

How many assumptions went out the window in the five minutes it took to read off these names? The Martian is a front-runner -- not so much. (Shockingly, not even Damon.). Creed is a contender, especially Stallone. (Even Oprah got SAG.). Brooklyn is beloved, and Ronan way ahead -- yet it missed Ensemble, while Room got a not-certain Tremblay. The Oscars will be whiter than white this year -- hello, Beasts and Compton. (It may be that what we thought killed Beasts-- the Netflix run -- was a boon to stuck-at-home SAG voters.). Spotlight is a juggernaut -- and yes, it got McAdams in, but somehow missed both its supporting men. This, my friends, is near chaos.

Is Trumbo, no commercial success, a matter of SAG being bombarded with screeners, or a real thing? Is The Big Short more than many think? Is Silverman (or Shannon) for real? Could Harvey actually get Mirren a lead nomination for that Philomena ripoff, or us it just a St. Vincent?

I'm thinking this could be among SAG's least predictive set of nominees. I can't wait to hear what the Globes have in store tomorrow, to further screw with us.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The on-demand accessibility of the membership to Beasts of No Nation and the undying TV love of Bryan "Breaking Bad" Crasnton and Helen "Rome Suspect" Mirren could be driving the Trumbo love, but Mirren again in Woman in Gold?

Take Mirren and Silverman out of Best Actress and move up Mara and Vikander and you probably have Oscar's Best Actress slate unless Charlotte Rampling can break through.

No Tomlin or Fonda in either film or TV doesn't say much for their Oscar chances, but no Martian and McAdams the only individual Spotlight nominee? That is really surprising.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Bryan Cranston? And, wow, way to go there, Helen Mirren (although I can think of about seven performances that need to go ahead of her in Lead).

What is I Smile Back? ::heads to Google::

I'm sure dws will be happy that Michael Shannon lives to see another day.

I'm ecstatic for Jacob Tremblay. I hope this translates into an Oscar nomination, category fraud be damned.

On the TV side, I can't believe they nominated Nicole Kidman for that piece of shit Grace of Monaco.

These are very interesting.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

SAG Nominations

Post by The Original BJ »

Male Actor in a Leading Role:
Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
Johnny Depp, Black Mass
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl

Female Actor in a Leading Role: