Any trivia this year?

For the films of 2015
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Any trivia this year?

Post by Big Magilla »

Michael Keaton is the fourth actor to have starred in films that won back-to-back Oscars. The others were Clark Gable (It Happened One Night, Mutiny on the Bounty), Meryl Streep (The Deer Hunter, Kramer vs. Kramer) and Russell Crowe (Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind).
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Most number of Australians (6) to have ever won Oscars in the one night. Ironically, for a film that was mostly received its financing for the U.S.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

anonymous1980 wrote:- Emmanuel Lubezki is the first person to win three years in a row since Walt Disney.
My turn to correct your trivia. Lord of the Rings visual effects artists Jim Rygiel and Randall William Cook also won on three consecutive years.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Heksagon wrote:At the age of 87, is Ennio Morricone the oldest person ever to win a competitive award?
I believe this is the truth. The L.A. Times is reporting so at least.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

At the age of 87, is Ennio Morricone the oldest person ever to win a competitive award?
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

With Daniel Day-Lewis/Abraham Lincoln, Matthew McConaughey/Ron Woodruff, Eddie Redmayne/Stephen Hawking, and Leonardo DiCaprio/Hugh Glass, we've now had four consecutive Best Actor wins for actors playing real-life characters. The previous record was three with Jamie Foxx/Ray Charles, Philip Seymour Hoffman/Truman Capote, and Forest Whitaker/Idi Amin.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I'll bet Spotlight is the only movie to have won the very first and last Oscar presented on the show, with no wins in between. Someone would have to consult Damien's book to see if that's correct, though.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

inky wrote:For example, is this the first time (I doubt it anyway, but too tired to check) that Oscars and Independent Spirit Awards reach a consensus in the best picture of the year?
No, it's actually happened a lot lately -- The Artist, 12 Years a Slave, and Birdman all won both prizes.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

- Mad Max: Fury Road is now the film that have won the most Oscars without winning any of the "major" ones (acting, directing, picture, screenplay),

- Sara Bennett is only the second woman to win Best Visual Effects. The first was Suzanne Benson for Aliens nearly 30 years ago.

- Emmanuel Lubezki is the first person to win three years in a row since Walt Disney.

- Spotlight is the least-winningest Best Picture winner since The Greatest Show on Earth.
inky
Temp

Any trivia this year?

Post by inky »

For example, is this the first time (I doubt it anyway, but too tired to check) that Oscars and Independent Spirit Awards reach a consensus in the best picture of the year?

Return to “88th Nominations and Winners”