Categories One-by-One: Adapted Screenplay

For the films of 2015
anonymous1980
Laureate

Re: Categories One-by-One: Adapted Screenplay

Post by anonymous1980 »

I'm officially predicting The Big Short but I, for one, am hoping for a Precious-style upset of Room in Adapted Screenplay.
CalWilliam
Temp

Re: Categories One-by-One: Adapted Screenplay

Post by CalWilliam »

When you have such a standout a work as Phillys Nagy's screenplay for Carol, there's nothing else to discuss. The Big Short will be, in my opinion, one of the worst winners in this category ever. Given the almost null chances of Nagy to prevail, the only possible upset I see is Emma Donoghue. Considering that Room was nominated for directing, it could perfectly finish with best actress and screenplay in the end if they really liked the film, and besides, it'd be worthy.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Categories One-by-One: Adapted Screenplay

Post by Mister Tee »

The nominees:

The Big Short (Charles Randolph & Adam McKay)
Brooklyn (Nick Hornby)
Carol (Phyllis Nagy)
The Martian (Drew Goddard)
Room (Emma Donoghue)

I presume no one's bothered to post on this category because it's so obvious as not to rate discussion. And it's not as if I'm going to follow a long shot. But, I got thinking...

A few years back, there was another big star comedy that touched on serious issues in the American workplace. It struck some of us as even a best picture possibility, given the dark quality of the directing front-runner. It won a bunch of precursor awards, making it the impregnably favorite Oscar choice. And then it went and lost to a more sentimental drama.

That Up in the Air/Precious experience may teach us to be wary of comedy, even the most successful ones. AMPAS' heart is with drama, and this year there are two -- Brooklyn and Room -- that might appeal more deeply to voters than The Big Short.

Probably not. But if it should happen, I want credit for seeing it ahead of time.

Return to “88th Nominations and Winners”