Categories One-By-One: Supporting Actress

For the films of 2013
mlrg
Associate

Re: Categories One-By-One: Supporting Actress

Post by mlrg »

ksrymy wrote: At least Lawrence actually acted in her film. Nyong'o's performance is awful and on the line of campy. "I stinks so bad ah makes mahself gag" is girl power 2013 at its worst. Squibb and Hawkins are the only ones who deserve winning, let alone a nomination.
THIS

Reza wrote: Ditto Lupita. A win for her would merely be the Academy trying to look good.
AND THIS!!!
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

jack wrote:ksrymy, do you have any comprehension of history? 12 Years a Salve was not attempting to make a feminist point. The fact that you were looking for "girl power" clearly indicates that you have no idea what this film was about. Lupita Nyong'o's performance is as close to an accurate depiction of a young black slave that we've ever had on screen. Let's respect that.

Full disclosure, I haven't seen Roots, so if I'm wrong keep it to yourself......
Well then you need to run and see Roots and you will understand why Slaves is pretty old hat and mere vinegar in old wine bottles. Ditto Lupita. A win for her would merely be the Academy trying to look good.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

ksrymy, do you have any comprehension of history? 12 Years a Salve was not attempting to make a feminist point. The fact that you were looking for "girl power" clearly indicates that you have no idea what this film was about. Lupita Nyong'o's performance is as close to an accurate depiction of a young black slave that we've ever had on screen. Let's respect that.

Full disclosure, I haven't seen Roots, so if I'm wrong keep it to yourself......
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

jack wrote:
Eric wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Lupita Nyong'o should and will win for both her amazing debut performance and as tribute to all the real life Patseys who never had a chance.
... to win an Oscar?
Yes. I don't think Patsy Kensit ever won an Oscar. Or Patsy from Absolutely Fabulous.

But enough of the hilarious nonsense. Lupita Nyong'o deserves whole-heartedly to win the Oscar. I will actually be angry if Jennifer Lawrence wins. I know it won't be her fault if she does, but a win for Lawrence will somehow seem like greed to me.
At least Lawrence actually acted in her film. Nyong'o's performance is awful and on the line of campy. "I stinks so bad ah makes mahself gag" is girl power 2013 at its worst. Squibb and Hawkins are the only ones who deserve winning, let alone a nomination.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Eric wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Lupita Nyong'o should and will win for both her amazing debut performance and as tribute to all the real life Patseys who never had a chance.
... to win an Oscar?
Yes. I don't think Patsy Kensit ever won an Oscar. Or Patsy from Absolutely Fabulous.

But enough of the hilarious nonsense. Lupita Nyong'o deserves whole-heartedly to win the Oscar. I will actually be angry if Jennifer Lawrence wins. I know it won't be her fault if she does, but a win for Lawrence will somehow seem like greed to me.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Eric wrote:
... to win an Oscar?
lololol :D
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Eric wrote:
... to win an Oscar?
A chance to escape the horror of their lives.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

... to win an Oscar?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I basically agree with everything dws said in the initial post in this thread.

I'm sorry but I've never been a big fan of Julia Roberts, but at least her prior nominations made some sense. This one is a waste of a nomination that should have gone to Octavia Spencer who would have had a much better shot had she not won two years ago.

Jennifer Lawrence is the best thing about American Hustle and would be a much stronger candidate had she not won last year.

June Squibb is amusing, but there's no way they would give her an Oscar and not give Bruce Dern one as well and that's not likely to happen.

Sally Hawkins' character in Blue Jasmine is more honest and real than Cate Blanchett's and I would love to see her win and Blanchett lose but that's not going to happen either.

Lupita Nyong'o should and will win for both her amazing debut performance and as tribute to all the real life Patseys who never had a chance.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

flipp525 wrote:In re-watching Sally Hawkins' performance last week in Blue Jasmine, I was struck by how assured she is throughout the film. How committed. Even during the first scene she shares with Blanchett, she cautiously telegraphs what has already occurred between the two characters in the past and doesn't even give it away. She constantly displays a kind of intuitive knowledge of people that her sister so clearly lacks. "You know her, too? Boy [Raylene] gets around." It's a really wonderful performance and the Academy gets a lot of credit for recognizing it.
I am hoping for a Marcia Gay Harden type shocker for Hawkins. Much like Blanchett, Hawkins could have gone over-the-top with the role easily, but she played it so realistically.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I mostly just said that to be provocative. It's the only way people respond to my posts these days.

It's sort of true though. I mean, I can't think of another reason why someone (not you, per se) would claim that all they saw the actress do on-screen was flail about while they were being whipped. It seems about as logical an explanation as any.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

flipp525 wrote:
mlrg wrote:As I’ve written in other posts, I think Lupita gives the weakest performance of the four that I’ve seen (still haven’t seen Nebraska). But she will eventually win.
Weaker than Julia Roberts? Well, there goes your credibility.

I'm not going to get into a debate (again) with the posters who somehow came away from the film thinking that all N'yongo did in it was scream while she was getting whipped. You obviously just saw what you wanted to see (not the actual performance, but the performance in your own head) and are also, most likely, a little bit racist (yep, sorry, I went there).
Well, the extent of your own credibility excels everyone else's credibility I presume, specially with the fact that you consider someone that doesn't like her performance as being a racist. It's a clear description of your concept of tolerance there.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

A highly interesting analysis: http://www.fandor.com/keyframe/oscars-2 ... ng-actress

The conclusion he reaches is that Hawkins is doing a great deal more than people might realize, and indeed deserves serious consideration as the most deserving winner (though, admittedly, least likely). He also ranks the two frontrunners as the least deserving (which, if you follow Lee's writings elsewhere on the recent works of Russell, is really saying something).
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Reza wrote:Before getting lost along the way this category was originally created to honor the likes of the Fay Bainters, the Hattie McDaniels, the Anne Reveres, the Ethel Barrymores and yes, the June Squibbs.

Nebraska deserves wins in a number of categories but it would be great to see June Squibb grab the gold.
She's easily the most deserving nominee, and she's the only one other than Lawrence that I would nominate.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

mlrg wrote:As I’ve written in other posts, I think Lupita gives the weakest performance of the four that I’ve seen (still haven’t seen Nebraska). But she will eventually win.
Weaker than Julia Roberts? Well, there goes your credibility.

I'm not going to get into a debate (again) with the posters who somehow came away from the film thinking that all N'yongo did in it was scream while she was getting whipped. You obviously just saw what you wanted to see (not the actual performance, but the performance in your own head) and are also, most likely, a little bit racist (yep, sorry, I went there).

Jennifer Lawrence would most certainly be the anointed one in this category if she hadn't won so recently. She steals every scene she's in in American Hustle and is really, very funny in it. This nomination just shows the extent of her range. I think we'll be seeing her nominated many, many more times down the road. Her versatility and likability are two feathers in a very talented acting cap. Look for her to win a second or even third Oscar further on in her career. Just not this year.

In re-watching Sally Hawkins' performance last week in Blue Jasmine, I was struck by how assured she is throughout the film. How committed. Even during the first scene she shares with Blanchett, she cautiously telegraphs what has already occurred between the two characters in the past and doesn't even give it away. She constantly displays a kind of intuitive knowledge of people that her sister so clearly lacks. "You know her, too? Boy [Raylene] gets around." It's a really wonderful performance and the Academy gets a lot of credit for recognizing it.

June Squibb's spicy performance is an absolute hoot in Nebraska (yes, dws, that scene at the graveyard is iconic). Remember how she was the woman whose husband had three testicles in In and Out? I see her in a very strong third place position. As I mentioned some weeks ago, she could end up as a third party beneficiary for voters unable to commit to Lawrence because of too-much-too-soon syndrome and N'yongo who some might feel is too fresh to be awarded this soon in her career.

My bet though is, as it has been since I saw 12 Years a Slave, on Lupita. An astonishing breakthrough performance.
Last edited by flipp525 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “86th Nominations and Winners”