NYFCC Winners

For the films of 2013
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Re: NYFCC Winners

Post by ITALIANO »

An interesting outcome, if only because now there's a third movie in the race.

No Gravity in sight. It's probably not the kind of movie that critics give awards too (it will be different at the Oscars), but let's face it - those who claimed that this was a profound meditation on life and death probably expected something.

Am very glad - but not surprised - for Blue is the Warmest Color.

Of the four acting winners here, for once it's sure that all four will be nominated. And deep inside I know that two will even win.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Quick thoughts:

On paper, American Hustle looked like an exceedingly strong candidate: acclaimed director with major career momentum, a sizzling hot cast, seemingly populist material within a well-produced period setting. The big question mark was whether or not it was any good, and though obviously personal opinions will vary, this prize pretty much ends speculation about whether or not it can be an Oscar-type movie. Are all those people who argued months ago that 12 Years a Slave had Best Picture in the bag feeling as confident today?

UGH, Robert Redford. I really don't want to root against the guy, but I just don't get anything about the traction he's receiving for this one.

To the surprise of no one but Magilla, Cate Blanchett begins her awards dominance. I'll be interested to see how close Amy Adams came in Best Actress -- of the six major Best Actress candidates, she's the one most people have been leaving off, but I wonder if that's simply due to Hustle not being seen. If she manages to rally and became a significant candidate, it looks like we'll have six-into-five-type race (not unlike Best Actor last year), where there might be doubt over who will be left off until nominations day. (Unless good sense prevails and Judi Dench gets the boot for that dreary old lady movie.)

Most everyone assumed Leto was a major candidate, but this is a nice boost for him, and the Supporting Actress prize reveals the Jennifer Lawrence buzz wasn't just blogger fantasy.

I'm very glad the critics did their duty and picked The Wind Rises for Animated Feature. It's not Miyazaki's best film, but I found it to be clearly superior to this year's Disney efforts.

I saw Inside Llewyn Davis last weekend, and thought it was beautifully photographed -- although the look of the movie is so processed, I don't entirely know that you could argue they passed on Gravity due to computer interference. Effects maybe, but Davis obviously had a lot of digital enhancement as well.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

In a year that is supposed to be between two serious, already hailed as classic pieces of cinema, American Hustle seems like just the sort of film that can sneak in as the middleman to begin taking prizes (a la Rocky in 1976).

My question here is can Jennifer Lawrence seriously become a contender to win back-to-back Oscars (and be the first person to win a supporting trophy the year after winning a lead trophy). After last year, you have to feel like anything is possible these days.

I know one person who worked with Jared Leto once, and had a horrible experience in which he came off as a fairly despicable human being. Is that how he is generally viewed in Hollywood? Or was this an isolated incident and does he have the Hollywood backing to make a run for the Oscar? (BJ, I'm looking at you). Because that could affect him come SAG/Oscar, where it wouldn't do so in the critics awards.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Despite being a non-fan of Hustle, I endorse any and all speed bumps and WTF'ery available during the ever-elongating, ever-leavened awards season.

Just don't you repeat this boner, LAFCA/NSFC/etc.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

They saw Wolf of Wall Street.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Did Wolf of Wall Street was shown to critics or only guild? Because if there was a critics group to be honored, it was this one
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

And the season's off to a rollicking start.

Film & director both took forever to decide, suggesting lots of contention.

Surprisingly, best actor -- which seemed to be bursting with candidates -- was more quickly decided than best actress.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Whoa, American Hustle!
"How's the despair?"
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

It's been over 30 minutes since the last award announcement...is there some big fight over Best Picture?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:Magilla, I don't get your dismissal of the results. Apart from Jennifer Lawrence & the Hustle screenplay (which have not yet been exposed to general critic reaction), all the winners got the kind of reviews from mainstream critics that would make winning awards perfectly logical.
Not dismissing the results, merely pointing out they are not surprising. No one has been touting Redford more than Jeffrey Wells who must be beside himself by now:

11:29 am: Robert Redford, HE’s personal favorite, has won the NYFCC’s Best Actor award for his performance in All Is Lost. Okay, now he’s rock solid with the Academy. He’s not going to get bumped. An Academy guy told me last night he thinks Wolf of Wall Street‘s Leonardo DiCaprio might not push his way in after all…what?

10:53 am: The generic, across-the-board default choice for Best Actress — Blue Jasmine‘s Cate Blanchett — has prevailed among NYFCC members. Congrats to Cate, and a respectful salute to her (and Woody Allen‘s) decision to perform that third-act scene with unmissable underarm perspiration stains. Earlier: I’m going to lose it if the NYFCC “softie” contingent pushes through a Best Actress won for Philomena‘s Judi Dench.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

FilmFan720 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The NYFCC expanded their roster this year. Looks like they admitted a bunch of bloggers whose votes look like self-fulfilling prophecies.
Are you basing this on the membership page of their website? Because that lineup looks pretty respectable to me, and I don't see too many "bloggers"
If not bloggers per se, contributors to blogging websites beginning with Thelma Adams of Yahoo who is first listed at both the NYFCCC website and on Gold Derby's list of "experts".
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

And Redford wins best actor (to stand alongside his 1994 best picture prize from the group).

I'd thought this group might go for him as the most-needy candidate -- his film's poor box-office seemed to put his nomination in jeopardy (assuming DiCaprio/Phoenix/whoever threaten to break into the five that have been predicted all Fall).

Magilla, I don't get your dismissal of the results. Apart from Jennifer Lawrence & the Hustle screenplay (which have not yet been exposed to general critic reaction), all the winners got the kind of reviews from mainstream critics that would make winning awards perfectly logical.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Big Magilla wrote:The NYFCC expanded their roster this year. Looks like they admitted a bunch of bloggers whose votes look like self-fulfilling prophecies.
Are you basing this on the membership page of their website? Because that lineup looks pretty respectable to me, and I don't see too many "bloggers"
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The NYFCC expanded their roster this year. Looks like they admitted a bunch of bloggers whose votes look like self-fulfilling prophecies.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Not my first choice or anything, but I approve of the therapeutic ice bath.

Return to “86th Predictions and Precursors”