2. Kikuchi
3. Barraza
4. Breslin
5. Hudson
nightwingnova
Assistant

Re:

Post by nightwingnova »

Absolutely agree. Shocked that the NYFCC chose her as their best supporting actress.

[quote="Mister Tee"]One we did in real time, so no need to dwell too long:

Jennifer Hudson puts The Song over with serious panache, which enables some to overlook the uncomfortable fact that she simply can't act. Of course, that was true of Jennifer Holliday as well, and she similarly won prizes. Sorry; I need the best supporting actress to be minimally qualified in the acting area.
OscarGoesTwo
Graduate

Re: Best Supporting Actress 2006

Post by OscarGoesTwo »

Rinko Kikuchi is my choice here

Rinko- I think it goes to show when a performance is done with 100% emotion and not a single word is spoken that means a lot, the only thing that stands out as well as the only thing I remember from Babel is Rinko's chunk of the movie. I really hope she gets another chance to be nominated because she is not a one hit wonder, there is so much potential in her to become a leading lady

Abigail- I never understood the hype over Little Miss Sunshine nor her performance. To this day I feel like this was a filler nomination

Jennifer- I like Jennifer Hudson as an actress but a win for her performance is such a stretch. I don't understand the hype over this one either, I feel it was a popular vote nomination and win

Cate- Notes on a Scandal isn't memorable for me, so neither is the performance

Adrianna- The 2nd best thing in Babel. Unfortunately for Adriana the nomination didn't do much for her career as she is still getting roles as Waitress in Thor ( with no lines) and crap films like From Prada to Nada and Drag Me to Hell :/

My line up

Rinko Kikuchi- Babel
Adrianna Brazza- Babel
Emily Blunt- The Devil Wears Prada
Vinessa Shaw- The Hills Have Eyes
Shawnee Smith- Saw 3- I have always stood behind her performance in Saw 3 as it is so strong with emotion and realism... say what you want... but I don't care
mayukh
Graduate

Post by mayukh »

I am glad to see some posters have come out in support of Rinko Kikuchi's performance, because I found her work revelatory upon watching Babel. I didn't spot a trace of sensationalism in her work, and it was by far the most authentic thing about this bloated movie. Her character's desperate need for love, any kind of love, is so touching, and she does imaginative, detailed things (like bizarre has pointed out) that make you understand that Kikuchi is a very perceptive actress. She is the only choice.

Barraza is good, but the role constricts her. Hudson is absolutely inept as an actress.
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Disappointed with the NYFCC, Hudson was amateurish in her acting.

Breslin was perfectly good.

Don't recall Blanchett being impressive.

Barraza was decent but didn't stand out.

I was quite intrigued by the intense Kinkuchi - so she's my choice.
bizarre
Assistant

Post by bizarre »

Damien wrote:i've been enjoying your posts, Bizarre, even where I strongly disagree with you. You have very insightful analyses of actors and performances. Keep 'em coming, and welcome to the Board!
Thank you!
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

i've been enjoying your posts, Bizarre, even where I strongly disagree with you. You have very insightful analyses of actors and performances. Keep 'em coming, and welcome to the Board!
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
bizarre
Assistant

Post by bizarre »

Barraza winning over Kikuchi is a travesty, and I like both performances.

Of the nominees:

1. Rinko Kikuchi
2. Adriana Barraza
3. Abigail Breslin
4. Jennifer Hudson
5. Cate Blanchett

Kikuchi is revelatory here. The sexual frankness of the role is its most eye-catching aspect and probably what brought her into consideration, but watch the way her slightest movements and changes in expression give you total insight into Chieko's inner world, both in the moment and in habitus. She does a fantastic job of getting a real girl out of a character written as a ball of pure id. That isn't to say she gives the urge short shrift, though - it is animal and wrenching - but the psychological detail of this performance is often ignored. I can't see why - her segment in Babel has little to do with the others, but it is the most well-made. One sees Kikuchi inspiring her director as they go along.

Barraza is also very strong. Generating empathy for a character who makes such profoundly stupid decisions is a real feat. And even when she is handed scenes that seem manipulative in the extreme, the bad taste is not generated by her performance. Even in the desert scene and her final scene she dials it back, letting Gonzalez Inarritu's more melodramatic instincts speak for themselves. Unfortunately they tend to overwhelm Barraza's low-key acting - they aren't forced into check by a performance as bold as Kikuchi's.

The next three are a mixed bag. I give Abigail Breslin mad props for actually acting like a real kid, but her character's biggest comic setpiece basically requires her to be as fixed as possible in expression, and the character eventually emerges as an emblem of filial loyalty and connection rather than a person in her own right. That being said, her acting in the obligatory 'sad scene' is touching and completely natural.

Jennifer Hudson was electric in her musical scenes - charismatic, funny and even touching - but she doesn't seem to know how to act without a full set of strings blaring behind her. She had the narrative for the win but, in truth, the performance is pedestrian at best, the drama unconvincing and the 'infamous Effie sass' seeming recycled from leagues of other, generally more entertaining characterisations.

Cate Blanchett is disastrous. The character doesn't comprehend her own motivations but that doesn't mean the actor shouldn't give a stab at it. Whereas Dench managed a synthesis of lurid camp and exacting character study, Blanchett aimed for the rafters from the moment she stepped into the frame. That can be successful with confidence, but basically you need 'the gift' and Blanchett doesn't have it - her acting is off-key, grating when (were she to go in this direction to begin with, which I wouldn't have recommended) it could have been impressive in scope at the least.

My personal nominees (date of first release):
1. Rinko Kikuchi, in "Babel"
2. Brittany Murphy, in "The Dead Girl"
3. Blanca Portillo, in "Volver"
4. Lindsay Beamish, in "Shortbus"
5. Emily Blunt, in "The Devil Wears Prada"
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I´m so glad to share my vote to Barraza with ten of you guys! She´s a close winner wit 11 votes in that poll (Hudson has 13)
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Hudson, as most of you concur, didn´t act in Dreamgirls, so, her nomination represented an act of commiseration coming from the academy members.
From the other four, Breslin was just cute, not the kind of a performance to be awarded. Kikuchi didn´t show any virtuosism in her role so to justify a nomination , she was wrongly cast here.
Blanchett wasn´t supporting at all, having shared the honors with Dench in NOAS.
That leaves the field to Barraza, an excellent actress with an oscar caliber performance. My vote goes to her.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Doesn't Monty Woolley sing and dance in The Pied Piper or am I confusing him with Van Johnson? :p

Edited By Big Magilla on 1292456237
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Mister Tee wrote:
Damien wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:Those who voted for Jennifer Hudson aren't stupid of course. Actually some of them usually make interesting, intelligent choices. They just made a stupid choice this time - and it's good, we all must have our stupid moments once in a while, it's even healthy I'd say. But Jennifer Hudson's performance is objectively terrible, as we all know.
I think the other 4 nominees all gave terrible performances. I don't think Jennifer Hudson deserved a nomination, let alone a win, but as I said before, unlike the others her performance had some affecting moments.

I love watching Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly, but I do't think I would have ever nominated either for an Oscar, not even Astaire for what I consider the greatest musical of all, The Band Wagon (well, Kelly in Brigadoon is an outside possibility). As for musical performers having the acting chops to warrant awards consideration, off the top of my head, I can think only of Judy Garland, Julie Andrews, Robert Preston and Betty Hutton, as well as Jack Buchanan in The Band Wagon.
Does this mean you're going to be a dissenting vote on best actor 1942?
I don't recall Walter Pidgeon singing and dancing in Mrs. Miniver. :D
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Damien wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:Those who voted for Jennifer Hudson aren't stupid of course. Actually some of them usually make interesting, intelligent choices. They just made a stupid choice this time - and it's good, we all must have our stupid moments once in a while, it's even healthy I'd say. But Jennifer Hudson's performance is objectively terrible, as we all know.
I think the other 4 nominees all gave terrible performances. I don't think Jennifer Hudson deserved a nomination, let alone a win, but as I said before, unlike the others her performance had some affecting moments.

I love watching Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly, but I do't think I would have ever nominated either for an Oscar, not even Astaire for what I consider the greatest musical of all, The Band Wagon (well, Kelly in Brigadoon is an outside possibility). As for musical performers having the acting chops to warrant awards consideration, off the top of my head, I can think only of Judy Garland, Julie Andrews, Robert Preston and Betty Hutton, as well as Jack Buchanan in The Band Wagon.
Does this mean you're going to be a dissenting vote on best actor 1942?
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Which is why I prefer the term "performance," to "actor." (Again, eliding the whole actor/actress debate entirely.) By my own terms, I'd probably have given a nomination to Erykah Badu in Dave Chappelle's Block Party.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Return to “The 8th Decade”