Meryl Streep - Music of the Heart
4%
Hilary Swank - Boys Don't Cry
64%

Total votes: 45

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

No, I never think of a performance in terms of "supporting" or "leading" - just in terms of good or not, and Kidman is not.

Copy that. Disagree.

As for End of the Affair, again, RE-rewatch. She's very good.

Julianne Moore isn't bad but I don't think she quite conveys the inner-life and turmoil of Sarah Miles. I like her quite a bit. Apparently Kristen Scott Thomas and Miranda Richardson were both considered and I think they would make much stronger choices. She's a bit wooden opposite Ralph Fiennes whose passion seems ill-aimed.
"How's the despair?"
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

ITALIANO wrote:No, I never think of a performance in terms of "supporting" or "leading" - just in terms of good or not, and Kidman is not.

I never think of an opinion in terms of "subjective" or "objective" - just in terms of right or not, and yours is not.

Edited By Eric on 1267743304
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Sabin wrote:
So I think you should re-rewatch End of the Affair - and maybe re-watch Eyes Wide Shut.
As I said, I just rewatched End of the Affair less than a month ago. I usually try to catch Eyes Wide Shut every year or so. Why? B/c Nicole Kidman isn't supporting in your opinion?
No, I never think of a performance in terms of "supporting" or "leading" - just in terms of good or not, and Kidman is not.

As for End of the Affair, again, RE-rewatch. She's very good.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Eric wrote:One should watch Eyes Wide Shut as many times as possible, as a general rule.
I've seen it a few times and I still think it's one of Kubrick's most underrated films.

Hell, I even bought a region free DVD player just so I could watch the British version without all the stupid black-robed figures blocking the way. Certainly some shocking stuff, but not that bad...stupid puritans.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

So I think you should re-rewatch End of the Affair - and maybe re-watch Eyes Wide Shut.

As I said, I just rewatched End of the Affair less than a month ago. I usually try to catch Eyes Wide Shut every year or so. Why? B/c Nicole Kidman isn't supporting in your opinion?
"How's the despair?"
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Big Magilla wrote:At the rate we've been going we'll be lucky to get through one category per year. If we do all 24 categories, I'll be 90 if I'm still alive when this thing finishes. Jowy Jillia, who was 17 when he started these, will be approaching middle age.
This, coupled with what you've said about Jeff Bridges and Maggie Gyllenhaal in Crazy Heart, indicates you believe people enter middle age after they've become old enough to be great grandparents.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

One should watch Eyes Wide Shut as many times as possible, as a general rule.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Sabin wrote:Italiano is wrong.[/b]
But deep inside you know that this can't be :;):

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Voted for Swank, probably the most bland actress ever to have won an Oscar. And she has two..........although, truth be said, she is very good in both films for which she won.

My top 5:

Hillary Swank, Boys Don't Cry
Julianne Moore, The End of the Affair
Reese Witherspoon, Election
Annette Bening, American Beauty
Cecilia Roth All About My Mother
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I accidentally null voted, but I would've given my vote to Janet McTeer.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

One of the reasons why End of the Affair is so good is Julianne Moore's reserved, distant yet by the end emotionally powerful performance - the best among the nominees, by far.

I recently rewatched The End of the Affair and The English Patient in the past month. The Jordan film is far superior but it needed a livelier central perf like Kristen Scott Thomas. Most of Moore's performance is a screen upon with Bendrix projects upon, a work of subjectivity. When the POV shifts, I don't think she conveys enough inner-life in Sarah Miles. I don't think her performance ends in emotional powerhouse at all. I think that Moore's performance is the least effective in the film.

1999 offered a slew of brilliant leading female performances. Cecilia Roth in All About My Mother. Reese Witherspoon in Election. Elodie Bouchez in The Dreamlife of Angels. Kate Winslet in Holy Smoke!. If you consider her a lead, then Nicole Kidman in Eyes Wide Shut (I don't). And excluding Streep's Music of the Heart performance which I've yet to muster the enthusiasm to view, I think that McTeer and Bening give superlative performances that certainly deserved their nominations. But at the end of the day, I arrive at one conclusion: Italiano is wrong.
"How's the despair?"
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Big Magilla wrote:Guys, the polls will remain open - anyone who wishes to take their time is certainly welcome to do that. Your comments will be no less meaningful if they come next week, next month or next year instead of prior to Sunday.

These polls began nine months ago. At the rate we've been going we'll be lucky to get through one category per year. If we do all 24 categories, I'll be 90 if I'm still alive when this thing finishes. Jowy Jillia, who was 17 when he started these, will be approaching middle age. The rest of you will be somewhere in-between.

I think we need to do two polls per week starting with Supporting Actress next Tuesday so that maybe we can through the top six categories in five years.
Who cares? The idea is not to plow through each category but to discuss one category in depth. If we get around to a few other categories, that is fine. But in the meantime, let's just have some quality discussion and not worry about pushing the final outcome.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I voted for Swank's one-of-a-kind performance. I also liked Bening and Moore a lot.

Streep's performance was more deserving of a Razzie than an Oscar nomination.

McTeer, a great stage actress who was superb as Clementine Churchill in the recent TV movie Into the Storm, was, as rudeboy has said, "dreadful" in Tumbleweeds. She was even more painful to watch than Streep with her insulting pseudo-Bronx accent in Music of the Heart.

Better choices than either of them would have been Cecilia Roth in All About My Mother; Sigourney Weaver in A Map of the World; Reese Witerspoon in Election and Michelle Pfeiffer in The Deep End of the Ocean.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Hustler wrote:Oops! I made a mistake! What can I do? I meant 2004. I don´t know why. Maybe, because in that year Swank and Benning were also competitors.
Clearly, in 1999 the best performance belong to Swank
Magilla, help me. My vote is wrong.
I would if I could.

Perhaps some kind soul who wants to vote for Benign will vote for Swank instead to make the totals come out right.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Guys, the polls will remain open - anyone who wishes to take their time is certainly welcome to do that. Your comments will be no less meaningful if they come next week, next month or next year instead of prior to Sunday.

These polls began nine months ago. At the rate we've been going we'll be lucky to get through one category per year. If we do all 24 categories, I'll be 90 if I'm still alive when this thing finishes. Jowy Jillia, who was 17 when he started these, will be approaching middle age. The rest of you will be somewhere in-between.

I think we need to do two polls per week starting with Supporting Actress next Tuesday so that maybe we can through the top six categories in five years.

Return to “The 8th Decade”