2007 Oscar Shouldabeens

1998 through 2007
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Big Magilla wrote:Best Supporting Actor
Casey Affleck, The Assassination of Jesse James Accoring to the Coward Robert Ford
???
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Bog wrote:secondly...Magilla, have you seen I'm Not There?

Knowing Magilla for as long as I have, I don't think he'd willingly pay admission to see something so conceptual.
No, I haven't seen it, but every time I see a clip of her as Dylan I want to throw something at the screen.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Bog wrote:secondly...Magilla, have you seen I'm Not There?
Knowing Magilla for as long as I have, I don't think he'd willingly pay admission to see something so conceptual.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Magilla, you saw There Will Be Blood?

Stop keeping these things to yourself!

And if your tastes are nearly identical to AMPAS's, as you've just admitted, then maybe it won't be so way out for AMPAS voters.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I would like to believe even Penelope could find Hilary Swank to have given a good performance

At the risk of bringing the wrath of God upon me for praising the Agent of Satan, I do, in fact, think that she gave a very fine performance in Insomnia.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Oh, I'm not saying she isn't brilliant in the film. She may well be. But after being disappointed with her year in and year out, I'm not going to call him out for not putting her on his ballot. And I don't think I have ever judged penelope, Damien, et al for their blanket judgments on actors they dislike.

Edited By FilmFan720 on 1199852274
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

FilmFan720 wrote:And I haven't seen the Dylan film yet, but kudos for ignoring the always overrated Cate.
I also take issue with this...as I think you need to absolutely see this before you make this blanket judgment that so many of "us" are guilty of with certain actors....but I guess I just don't understand this feeling, I would like to believe even Penelope could find Hilary Swank to have given a good performance or Damien to think Lumet made a competent film because that is simply reality

secondly...Magilla, have you seen I'm Not There?

thirdly...if Pirates of the Caribbean didn't come along and sweep most of America off their feet 5 years ago or so, would anybody consider Johnny Depp to be on a radar for awards of any type....ever?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I have always been boringly high lowbrow or low highbrow in my taste in film, which is why so many of my winners have been Oscar nominees, though less frequently Oscar winners.

This year I think the Academy is closer to my thinking than two years ago when no one except the AARP agreed with me on Joan Plowright in Mrs. Palfrey at the Clarement. :O

There are only six films this year that I really like - No country, Blood, Into the Wild, Diving Bell, Gone Baby Gone and others that I like with reservations - Atonement, Sweeney Todd, Michael Clayton, Eastern Promises, 3:10 to Yuma, Black Book, etc., etc.

As always, if you're looking for diversion, you'll see a lot more of it in others' lists here than mine. And that's fine with me.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Magilla, are those REALLY your personal preferences? I mean, Angelina Jolie nommed for Best Actress? Casey Affleck in Supporting? I can tell you right now that my list is going to be vastly different from the Academy's choices.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

--Bog wrote:I respect Magilla's whole list and most are good but it looks more like an Academy list of sorts and not a personal preference list...

Now you're catching on.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1250848341
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I am amazed that you would choose Depp at his melodramatic best, over Pinsent, whom you have mentioned all year. (Now: I don't think, in reality, Pinsent has a chance, but there must be OTHERS that you can think of for fifth spot.)
- OR for that matter, Carter, who was even worse. Laura Linney should be here, IMO.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Ok, here's a question I've often wondered about these type threads...especially in regards to what I see as Magilla's currently here.

Do we consider this a thread of what we would have liked to see nominated among those that had a chance? Or is this our own personal wet dream Oscar race?

I respect Magilla's whole list and most are good but it looks more like an Academy list of sorts and not a personal preference list...am I wrong? Is this how it is to be done?
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Age appropriateness? Johnny Depp looks like he is 12. Where has he really bee for 18 years? :)

Helena Bonham Carter is appropriately sexy, however, which can often be overlooked in that role. With her ample, heaving cleavage, you can see how she could manipulate this man into doing what he does (not that Depp takes advantage of it, though).

And I haven't seen the Dylan film yet, but kudos for ignoring the always overrated Cate.

Edited By FilmFan720 on 1199848706
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

First draft, subject to change.

Funny, I thought I'd be taken to task for ignoring Cate Blanchett, not Gordon Pinsent.

I did strongly consider Pinsent, as well as Viggo Mortensen in Eastern Promises, over Clooney but not Depp who I actually liked in Sweeney Todd. Having expected the worst, I was pleasantly surprised by his strong acting, and not really put off by his less than perfect singing.

Had they dubbed or at least blended Depp's and Bonham Carter's voices with trained real singers, as they would routinely have done in the old days, their singing voices wouldn't be an issue. As it stands, they're not all that bad, and they bring an age appropriateness to the roles missing in most stage productions.

Depp and Bonham Carter are out, replaced by Tommy Lee Jones in In the Valey fo Elah and Angelina Jolie in A Mighty Hart, two performances I was late in getting around to.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1250848552
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Magilla, you of all people I thought would have the heart to include Gordon Pinsent on your Actor list? What happened. You cannot tell me Johnny Depp and his flat pitches is a better performance.
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “The 8th Decade”